How much do you pay for butter?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I went to the Gilroy Garlic Festival one year (over 100 degrees, no shade, no cooling, I didn't go back again). Anyway, I did try the ice cream and even though I am an inveterate garlic lover, I wouldn't try it again. I do make garlic jelly, though, and enjoy it a lot. This year, I made jalapeno and onion, too. Use them on meats.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Garlic jelly? Would you mind sharing your recipe in the recipe section? I love jalapeno jelly too!!

Ok then I don't feel bad for missing the garlic festival then...although I wish I had gone to buy different kinds of garlic to plant this fall. :/

ETA typos from cold fingers!! I refuse to turn on the heat or light the wood stove!! :p I am dressed warm except for my fingers!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
The garlic jelly was made from 3 cups water, 4 cups sugar, one package of dry pectin, two chopped red bell peppers, one small onion, diced, and about 15 large crushed garlic cloves. I simmered the water, peppers, onions, and garlic, covered, for about an hour. Then I strained it, added the pectin, boiled for one minute, then added the sugar, returned to the boil, and then jarred and processed.

Jalapeno was the same process, but with green bell peppers, onion, and three jalapenos, seeds and all, chopped.

I have also made just regular sweet pepper jelly in each of the three colors: green, red and yellow.

Had fairly good luck with blackberry merlot and lemon rosemary. A basket with one of each of the above makes an extraordinary Christmas gift.

Oh, you said the recipe section. Will go look for it.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make garlic, tarragon, (or basil) flax oil and butter spread! Just chop and mix. Yumm Yumm Yumm

Butter today $1.78 at Smiths for a pound.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For those of you in Ohio check out Minerva Dairy (near Canton) . The milk is local (within a 200 mile radius of the dairy. I buy bulk butter there, cut it into chunks and freeze them. Then use as needed. I know I'm lucky to have a small dairy so close, we get wonderful cheese too. They have a jersy jack cheese that is 100% jersey milk. The bargain box cheese is great! It is the ends of blocks when they cut and package for retail. Since it is sold as bargain box cheese and not labled as to variety it makes awsome never to be repeated mac and cheese when you throw in some of this and some of that! They do mail order on the retail cheese but not the bulk butter or bargain box cheese.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a Creamery in our village, but I don't believe they sell from the store. I've started buying their butter as its a good 4 dollars cheaper than the big names. We're talking $2.69 for a block of butter and we cut it into quarters ready for baking. Niceeee butter too, and the milk is local.

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
At least 5 dollars a pound. It's very expensive. Even the cheap kind is at least 5 bucks!!

On sale, it can go as low as 2 bucks a pound. I try to stock up.

I am weaning hubby off of margarine but it is hard when it is that expensive and he is a toast fiend, says the butter doesnt spread well so he doesnt like it. :rolleyes:

Latest posts