How we went from $42,000 to $6,500 and lived to tell about it!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the key word is poverty

being on land and having a garden while poor is far different than a poverty child in the city.

leaving poverty is not wrong, it is a step into what that person wants or desires out of their life.

if ya don't want to leave then don't...if you do, then don't be bashed by those who want more.

this is just super sad.

love your life, fine.
leave others to want what they want.
bashing the dollar is not the way to say life is great for anyone.

people live under 6500 per year and they are not on land to feed themselves. people live on under 6500 per year and have 6 kids and no hubby. people live on 6500 per year and want more. they should get more if the ambition and choices in life send them that way.

MOST people are backtracking that want the simple life.....thru financial troubles, stress troubles, etc. Or they sell that home and make cash to buy that simple life. Don't think that simple life comes without a price tag which some can actually afford. Backtrack to simple when desired is not the same as some in poverty fighting to move forward.

Most true poor want to move upward...who wouldn't? some few might not, but most do.

from that "poor" we had as kids that I read about, MOST have moved upward if not ALL......education etc being key to get more in life. No one is working the salt mines here. No one is stupd. No one is not inclined to have the knowledge to upgrade to a better life...it is just how far you want to take it. Some get this and are happy, some want a step more than just this.

true poverty is not romantic. go to the mountains and see how poor live. go ot the inner cities and see how true poor live.

THEY are not our poor. Throwing out the word poor when having so much is degrading and wrong. No one on this board is poor that I see.
Don't be using it as a shield, a badge of honor or anything else. It is not!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I had no idea I was poor until we moved to a city and I got teased for not having the cool clothes.
LOL...no kidding! Hubby had the same experience. We were "working class" growing up until I was around 16. Then we were definitely poor. I had to waitress to keep the propane tank from getting empty. I have been both poor and well off. I learned something in each situation and I think that is what counts most.

Some people can be happy with a lot less than others. No need to slam them. I like stuff though. True, I have less "stuff" than many, but certain things I do not want to go without (see the waste thread for details :D )

Go cut some firewood and get rid of the pent up aggression
LOL Great idea!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
"One of the great dreams of man must be to find some place between the extremes of nature and civilization where it is possible to live without regret" - Barry Lopez

But lets not define regret.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well...this thread certainly covered a lot of ground! :p Now that we've hashed out all the little things..... time to go chop wood? Or is it more like fire up the chain saw and log splitter? :lol:

Hey, dac! Aren't you supposed to be grumpy or somethin'? :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
"One of the great dreams of man must be to find some place between the extremes of nature and civilization where it is possible to live without regret" - Barry Lopez

But lets not define regret.

I can define it

Poverty refers to the condition of not having the means to afford basic human needs such as clean water, nutrition, health care, clothing and shelter.[1][2] This is also referred to as absolute poverty or destitution.

Relative poverty is the condition of having fewer resources or less income than others within a society or country, or compared to worldwide averages.

Regret (emotion), an intelligent or emotional dislike for personal past acts and behaviors.
Regret (decision theory), the difference between expected loss and actual loss

Poor is an adjective related to a state of poverty, low quality or pity.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I said lets not. Lol.

The moral behind it was that everyone has to find a spot within nature or civilization that is fit for THEM PERSONALLY, where they can live happily for themselves.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I said lets not. Lol.

The moral behind it was that everyone has to find a spot within nature or civilization that is fit for THEM PERSONALLY, where they can live happily for themselves.
Exactly. Find your happy place and don't make fun of people who find theirs elsewhere.
thanks, BB.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Well...this thread certainly covered a lot of ground! :p Now that we've hashed out all the little things..... time to go chop wood? Or is it more like fire up the chain saw and log splitter? :lol:

Hey, dac! Aren't you supposed to be grumpy or somethin'? :D
I am grumpy. There are three threads I should have stayed away from but now I'm hooked.

Go cut some firewood. :old

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's like watching a bad car accident, isn't it? You tell yourself not to look but you just can't help it..... :p

I'd rather eat chocolate...is that an option, O Great and Powerful Dac?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
And another thread turns to chocolate. Hard to see that as a bad thing....

(currently munching on a piece of Lindt 85% dark chocolate while drinking coffee with heavy cream...yummmmm)