hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Somewhere, yes, let me see if I can dig it out. :)
20140213_142742.jpg
You mean this one, FEM? That was several years ago, he was being a real goober!
20160611_185232.jpg
That's him looking rather dapper and handsome, and not being nearly as much of a goober :p

I felt terrible yesterday at the office. My allergies were triggered ALL day, so I was sniffing and sneezing most of the day. I'm not entirely sure what set it off other than the fact that I jumped into shuffling around charts that hadn't been touched in a LONG time and in the process encountered some pretty epic sized dust bunnies. I got a lot more stuff sorted so that it can be shredded, and then got a lot of that stripped out of the charts (I SO wish I could just dump the whole chart to be shredded, but they don't like that much!). There's still about half a dozen shelves of charts that still need to be sorted and stripped for shredding, but at least I'm getting somewhere. Slowly but surely. All day though my nose was running off my face. I felt so tired and drained when I got home.
But the good news is that I got off work early, and so did the BF! Well, I didn't actually get off work early, it's amazing how quick 8 hours goes by when you arrive about 6 in the morning. The BF actually beat me home! We futzed around, and he called the hospital about the receipt he STILL hasn't received in the mail for the ER bill from back in the summer when a moth flew in his ear. He needs to submit that to his flex spending account so he can get reimbursed, and quickly before the cut off happens for the year. I don't know why he's drug his feet this long, but whatever. That'll be $200 that we can put towards something useful! After he got off the phone with them (to be told that oh, you can just stop by the cashier's office at the hospital and get a copy), we decided to go out and run some errands. I wanted to stop by Kohl's and see if by any wild chance they still had the curtains that I had from the bedroom before. They didn't have the exact color, but they had some nice gray ones on clearance for only $5.99 per panel. I bought all 5 that they had in case I wanted to cut them up or something. If I really decide not to use them I'll just return what I don't use, but I have a feeling I can use all of them, even if I just make some temporary curtains to go in the basement or something. At that price it's very much worth it! Then we headed to get something to eat. We haven't actually eaten out in a while so it was nice to go eat out. We went to Chili's because they have a "2 for $35" deal that includes 2 margaritas. That's a killer deal for an appetizer, 2 entrees, dessert, and 2 drinks. Then we stopped in Bed, Bath, and Beyond to return one of those laser light cat toys. The cat just didn't appreciate it. He likes the hand held laser light better because he can really run and go all over with it. This one just confused him and made him bored! Returned that and found some frying screens which we really needed, so we picked those up. I still got a little refund at least LOL
We finally made it home, and not too late, either, and I just crashed. I sent my mom pictures of the curtains, she doesn't like them quite as much as I'd hoped, but oh well. I think they'll work out fine, and I think part of the issue is the color in the photos.

Today I went to yoga and then stopped at Joann's to see about trim for the curtains. I have this idea in my head, and now I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I didn't find anything I was over the moon about, so we'll see what else I can come up with. I wish we had a better selection of fabric stores in the area, but even at that Joann's is pretty good. I'll show the BF tonight, and hopefully he can hang the rod so I can start experimenting. We need to get some of those tie back hooks, and I have to figure out how I want them to work. It will be so much nicer to have something thermal in there, though. These windows leak like crazy. I haven't figured out how I'll handle the curtain for the window over the dresser, because it won't look right to do it the same as the one over the bed. I might just do a valence, and then do a roman shade out of the gray ones just so there is something there to keep the room warmer, and hopefully it will look similar enough to the bed that it won't look awkward. These windows are so difficult to design for!

I swung through B&N to return a book that mom got for the BF for christmas about blacksmithing because he already had it. Since I didn't have the receipt I had to take the lowest price that they had in their system which was $2.96. Oh well, I took it and then actually did find another blacksmithing book on the bargain rack, and with the discount coupon that I had I spent less than $10. I'm not going to tell him I had to spend anything, I'm just happy I found something else for a good price. I hope he likes it.

Not much else happening. I got my W2 so that means I can go submit our taxes now, which is good news! Hoping for a big fat return! And the sooner the better! I REALLY want to pay off one of his credit cards! I did update the budget today, and I went in and switched things around for him so that he'll only pay the minimum on the one card (which is pretty high), and then pay double the minimum on this other card. I'm so sick of dealing with it because they're charging him "payment protection" which means that every month if he only pays the minimum he is actually not paying enough to pay down the card. Maybe it's because I started with capital one cards forever ago, but I can't stand the way either his AmEx or his Discover card website is laid out. It feels sneaky, like they don't really want you to know how much you owe or how much you have put on the account in the past month. It isn't user friendly at all. My capital one account is easy to navigate and easy to tell how much I owe and what the new transactions are. I have to dig around in the other two to figure out what the heck is going on. Irritates me a lot! I can't wait to pay them OFF so we can get out of debt and start putting that money towards USEFUL things like stuff for the house and savings! I just confirmed the appointment with the accountant on the 2nd, so that will get that ball rolling.

Otherwise not much else to talk about. Hopefully we can do some fun stuff this weekend without spending money!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes! That's the pic of him that I love, love, love! But, the other one is nice too. :) Congrats on having everything ready for the accountant - I'm months away from that....just call me Ms. Procrastinator. I still have to dig all my receipts out...and then separate them into categories...and then total them...ugh.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM I make copies of my receipts and total each page throughout the year. it makes it so much easier!

Storm is a beautiful boy! Do you get to ride him much?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have the spread sheet all set up... some years I start out like gangbusters and keep up with it all year long...this wasn't one of those years. :(

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the horse loss and sadly, any damage to the vehicle that hit it will be the responsibility of the horse owner. At least in VA that is the case. Most farm policies will not cover such issues.

Seems you are getting settled in your new home. That's great!! Now, if you can just get fence up and your horse home --woohoo!

hqueen13

Reaction score
@Mini Horses I'm not sure if it is the same in MD or not. We'll have to see how it all settles out. Thankfully they weren't hurt, though I have no idea how badly the car was damaged. At the rate they do things these days the car will be totaled anyway.

LOL FEM, yes, that's the picture you remember.

FEM I've learned with my business that it really is so much better if I just keep up with it month to month. I have 2 spreadsheets, one for the business and one for the personal side of things. At one point I've been about 5 or 6 months behind, and a couple times I've been 2 or 3 months behind. I've learned it is so much more stressful to deal with it that way, so I really try to get it done at the end of the month. I like to crunch numbers, though the drudgery of doing it isn't fun, I like seeing how much I've spent in different areas to try to figure out what we can do differently. It does blow my mind to note how much we DO spend on stuff every year. Geesh. It's a lot of money on gas and groceries and eating out! If you want tips or anything, FEM, let me know, I'm pretty good with excel, and I know quite a few short cuts that can help make it easier and faster to get things done. I honestly reconcile my stuff out of my bank accounts, I download the transaction record, and then transfer that into my spreadsheet. I keep all the checks I deposit because I put them in through my phone, and keep any bank receipts if I actually go to the bank. While I'm AT the bank, I write on the receipt what it was for so I don't forget when I put it into my sheet later (and if it's for the biz I can claim miles on that trip to the bank, so I use the receipt to track that, too). I don't actually reconcile my receipts for everything I've spent, that would take me forever and it would be confusing for sure.

This week has already started out confusing! Yesterday I needed to be up at one of our other offices so I could show some people our one sound booth that is going to need to be moved. We were able to go to the new location, which was great, and spent some time figuring out where it is going to go and how everything else is going to be laid out. I'm excited about it, the new location is a lot larger, and very very nice. It's a major upgrade, and will bring all of our offices into the same level of quality. AND it's only about 12 minutes from my house! I'm very happy to be able to work out of there most of the time and only drive down to the main office about once a week. That will make it so much easier on me! But because I did that yesterday, instead of being in the office all day, I now can't figure out what day it is. Yesterday felt like Tuesday, but it's actually Tuesday today... I'm not happy that I have to be in the main office all day and then I'll have to go to the barn to do chores, but it is what it is. I hope the stalls aren't bad (but that may or may not be the case since it's snowing today) and the horses cooperate coming in. It looks like it might get windy at the end of this storm which I'm not excited about, but we'll see what happens. Ever since the accident last week I've been a bit unsettled handling the horses. It's also been EXTREMELY muddy, which means it is VERY hard to navigate some of the gates and stay balanced, and move easily. So if one of the horses makes an unusual or sudden move it is very difficult to react when your feet are stuck. I don't like that at all. Not to mention that the constant sliding is very tiring on my knees. Hopefully it goes quickly, we'll see anyway.

The rest of the week should be fairly easy. I get my down day tomorrow. I have to run down and feed Cowboy and Coyote and then drop my car off at the dealership to have the auto armor put on it an they're going to fix the dent in the bumper. I'll pick it up on the way home on Thursday again, I think, so that will work out pretty good. Otherwise, there's not too much happening, which I'm totally ok with!

hqueen13

Reaction score
Well, I never got my car to the dealer, they cancelled because the guy that had to do the work was sick. That's alright, though, I guess. I did have a good day, though, that gave me a little extra time to get some stuff done after I got home from the horses before my calls. The calls went well, and I have a couple of new tools to try to help organize some of my content for posting biz stuff on facebook. Hopefully I can get that cranking really soon because I need to get this biz rolling! After I finished my calls I took care of the sheets on the bed and then headed to meet a lady for lunch. I found her via a website called nextdooor.com which is awesome if you don't know about it. But I posted on there looking for someone to help me with meal planning and grocery shopping. She responded, and we clicked right away. We have really similar tastes (we both don't like to eat onions or peppers, and don't really do spicy food!), and I think it will work out really well. We're going to touch base on Friday and see if we can put some ideas together. I'm really looking forward to having the help. She even had some good ideas for a couple different ways to make life easier with cooking that would be helpful if I employ!
I decided to head down to take care of the horses, and then go home since it was already so late. I had to get gas on the way home, and then the BF was on the way home, too, so I wasn't home for long before he came in. I took care of a few more things on the computer, and then we organized dinner. I hadn't really planned anything, so he threw a pizza in, and then we decided to make a fire in the wood stove, and play some pool and have a glass of wine. It was a fun relaxing evening, and just what I needed. We didn't do so great making the fire in the stove, but we got a little bit going. I think there is a bit of a learning curve since it's a stove vs being a regular fire place. We'll get it figured out eventually I'm sure.
I'm back in the office today, and then I'll have a pretty busy day tomorrow between yoga, and needing to stop by the farm to see RS and talk about a plan for the summer farmers markets he wants to do. Then I have to head to my accountants to get the taxes wrapped up for the year. This is reminding me that I'll need to make sure I pack up my computer tonight so I have it ready in the morning. After that I'm free, but I might try to reconnect with the lady about getting some meal planning done.
This weekend we need to get the wood organized and straightened up, and I think he'll probably want to take a trip to his parent's house to get some more stuff. I'd like to get the grill back, even though it's been too cold to do much, it would be helpful to have the option. We also need some of the yard tools, and I'm sure he's going to want a few other things. We need to get things organized and back with us gain so that we can function and don't have to keep looking for stuff. Looks like more rain again on Sunday, of course, because I have to take care of the horses in the afternoon. It's not supposed to be very warm, either, which stinks.
Otherwise, not much else happening.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How nice to have a relaxing evening together. It is a chance to recharge your batteries, LOL and not be under "I HAVE TO GET THIS DONE NOW" frame of mind. Sounds like y'all are settling in and that is a good thing.

hqueen13

Reaction score
YES, @baymule finally. It feels good to not be under so much constant pressure to get things done.
We still got lots done this weekend, though. Saturday was the clear day again, so we got a load of hay for Storm, and then got that stacked at the barn, then we ran a few errands and headed home. The BF headed back out to pick up a load of wood from one of his coworkers. Turns out that was GOOD stuff! I think it might be locus, but it's burning really nicely! One of our stops was to pick up wood to make a log rack, which he did, but it's not big enough! So we'll have to work on getting more built later, but for now it will do, along with all the wood stacked all over the place LOL. We'll just mix the crappy wood with the good stuff to burn so that we use it up. But the stove has gotten nice and hot now and is holding heat, which makes a big difference. The floor of the bedroom isn't quite so cold, and the basement itself is holding at about 71 degrees or so. Of course he had to build the log rack right away, and then go get the wood, which meant we unloaded it in the dark again, but at least we were able to get it done. I forgot to grab the tarps at the barn with all of our other stuff in storage, so now I have to remember when I go back tomorrow so we can get it covered before the next round of winter whatever that's coming on Wed.

Yesterday the weather was pretty gross, so we didn't do much. We did get the curtain rod hung up, and I mostly have figured out how I want to do the curtains, but I still need to do some tweaking. I'm hoping that tomorrow I can hem them so at least I can get them hung even if they aren't exactly the way I want them. We really need to get a bed frame with a headboard so that we can keep the bed away from the wall, but that will come in due time, too. I got as far as getting the curtains washed, and didn't get much else done. It started snowing just before lunch time, and then turned to rain fairly quickly. I would have rathered it stay snow! It was COLD, only in the upper 30's and raining, which is just gross. It had been cold, so the rain was freezing on stuff, which is not good. I finally drug myself to get ready to go to the barn, and the BF was like oh, I need you to wait to make sure I can get out of the driveway with the truck that has no 4wd and if I can't then I need you to pull me out. So that took an extra 10 minutes to deal with that, which made me grumpy because I didn't want to have to go out in the first place. I reminded him that if Storm were here it would have taken me 10 minutes that morning to take care of him and I could have done it when it WASN'T raining, and I would have had to leave at all. Hopefully we can get the fence and a shed SOON. I'm really itching to get it DONE! I was drenched by the time I got home from the barn. It was so gross out.

Had to go back this morning, and now of course allll that was wet was ice. Fun times. I got there safe, and got all the horses out safe, though there was one mad scramble when a horse decided to walk directly onto the ice patch on the side of the driveway. Thankfully he didn't go down and we all made it safe to where we needed to be. The wind is kicking up today, and it should be sunny, even if the high doesn't make it very far up it should take care of most of the melting and water.

This week should be nice, I think I have a fair amount of time to myself, so I can get done things I want to do. I do have a couple of calls that I have to take care of, but other than that there's not much happening. Hopefully I can get the curtain hemmed, so we can start using that. I'm sure it will help keep the bedroom much warmer. We also decided how we want to do the curtain on the other window, which has a dresser in front of it so I don't want to set it up with the same long drapes because it would be a pain to have it behind the curtain. Now the question is how quick can I get this done!?