Hubby needs prayers *Neurosurgen Appt. Tomorrow*

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My husband managed to slip a disc in his back today. There are some pre-existing back issues to boot, but this is worse now.

They have him on complete bedrest. Tuesday we are supposed to follow up with his dr (he went to the ER today) and get him scheduled for an MRI.

Until then, bedrest. No heavy lifting.

They said the way his back is, if he strains it again, most likely will lose control of his bowels.

So it's bad.

So please pray for my husband.

Thank you.
Aly

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
QA - I will keep you and your Hubby in my thoughts and prayers.

You sure have a lot going on. So sorry for all your troubles.

Seems like it is non stop with some of us.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Saying prayers for your DH! And for you to because now your work load will increase until he is back on his feet! :hugs

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's a prayer for you guys.

I know I seem like a know it all but I will give some advise as well.

I swear by the chiropractor for my husband. He has the same problem with his back and all the meds in the world don't help him. He slips his disc by shoveling or carrying heavy things but twenty minutes with the chiropractor puts him right every time.

Also, a little tip, apply cold or ice to the area, that will help the swelling. I know you guys think you really can't afford to take him to the chiropractor but it's cheaper than an MRI and in my humble opinion helps a lot better than meds any day.

Start calling around tomorrow. See if there is a chiropractor who can squeeze you guys in. Also, get the x-rays from the ER so that you don't have to pay for another x-ray tomorrow. You won't be sorry.

Good Luck.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice, and I know you are trying to help, but my husband used to see a chiropractor all the time. It really didn't help his back at all. My husband has discs herniated into his spinal cord, putting pressure, and he has degenerative disc disease. He has been told by his chiropractor, by his neurologist, by his back surgeon, and by his general physician that surgery may be the only option. Problem is, his surgeon won't do it yet because he is able to walk and because the discs affected are L1-L5 (yes all of them) they will not operate until it is so bad that he cannot function. Which, looks like it is to that point.

If they do the surgery his options of being able to walk after are 50/50.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm sorry Quail, that is really bad news. Ugh -- back surgery. :/

I hope that your husband's situation gets resolved soon. I can't imagine how it feels being stuck in limbo like that (both of you). I hope your husband is able to come through this without any long-term effects.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hope your husband recovers quickly Quail. You will be in my thoughts :hugs

Hang in there!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Big hug. Good luck, hope his back is better soon!

FWIW I know someone (a competetive dressage rider and former racecar driver :p) who had fairly extensive spinal fusion surgery. She has had to limit how much sitting-trot she does on young horses since then, and obviously her range of motion is affected somewhat, but otherwise it's worked out quite well for her.

thinkin' good thoughts,

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

The ER doctor had already talked to his regular dr while he was in the ER and told his regular physician to get him in for an MRI right away. So that's good, that the two dr's talked.

Bad news is, ER DR. didn't really want to tell DH what was wrong. He wanted DH to wait until he talks to his regular DR.

ETA: to give you an idea of how much pain he is in, he got a shot of morphine in the rear. The nurse came in 30 minutes later, and the morphine had not helped. The nurse asked him how his pain was from 0 to 10 and he said "10 or more, that morphine didn't help at all. " He is still feeling pain, but not to the point of crying and ready to pass out now.