Hunger Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Just a book recommendation. ;)

Has anyone else read the Hunger Games? It's actually quite a good story. I can't watch the movie before reading the book, it's just how I am. Most movies ruin the book anyway. DD had to read it for school, and I also like to read things that she has to read just to know what's going in her little mind I think it's a great story for kids to read, and some adults could stand to realize a few of the undertones of the book as well.

It's about North America after some kind of uprising has happened, and the country is sectioned off into different "districts." Disctrict 13 was destroyed in the uprising, by the evil Capitol who is in control of everyone, leaving 12 districts. The Capitol is rich, while the districts work to support the Capitol. They have these "games" called the Hunger Games each year where the Capitol chooses a boy and girl ages 12-18 from each district to fight to the death. The Capitol is very manipulative of the entire population of Panem. Anyway, the loss of the kids is punishment for, and reminder of, the cost of the uprising. The whole book almost is about the games, and how each charachter plays the game, and of course, the victor, or in this case victors. The book ends at a cliffhanger of sorts..ya know, because there are 2 more books I like the way the charachters aren't some mindless snivelling brats, but very much respectable, productive, and intelligent youth, with the exception of a few who are the "bad guys" of the story. It plays out into this game of survival amongst the kids, and how each one hates the games because of what they represent, but it's kill or be killed. So as not to give away too much info, I'll stop at that, but it really is a good read. DD was required to read the first one for school. She has already absorbed the other two, and has requested copies as part of her birthday present We(DD and I) have discussed a bit of the book, but I imagine today we'll have a deeper conversation on what all it means, and the undertones, and it's application to the things we face in our own country IRL.

I'd recommend it to any kid, and parents with kids, who do not take seriously some of our preparations, and some of the ideas, that self sufficiency brings to the table. What makes it even more interesting to me, is that some of our countries own pundits have deemed it controversial and are making accusations that it is "too graphic" due to the idea of kids killing kids, when that is not as a whole what the book is about. While it has been said that it could be detrimental, I think it will be beneficial for children(apporpriate ages of course) to read and understand. So, for my part, the pundits who have issue with the series...can just suck an egg :p

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
People who think Hunger Games is too graphic because there is killing in it don't read much young adult fiction.

I haven't read it yet but will. I have heard very good things about it. It was the teen selection for a our teen book club at the library, and this month the adult book club is reading it. Looking forward to the film, too.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Isn't 'Lord of The Flies' required reading? Just asking...

I was very interested in reading this series - I like series that DS#2 and I can both read, then discuss, but I was put off by an interview with the author. What she meant when writing this trilogy, and what she had hoped people took away from them, didn't mesh with my belief system (don't ask for exact quote's or a link - I'd bet dollars to donuts I'd never find the one I read). Since then, I have heard positive reviews from people 'like me', so I may give it a go anyway.
Now, I wish I'd just read it, so I wouldn't be biased by that silly interview :/

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned or closed minded or whatever, but I don't think I will be reading this. Teenagers fighting to the death? :ep :th I am kinda glad I don't have grandchildren growing up in these very troubling times.

Required reading? Didn't we just see a school shooting or 2 just a while back? :old

Keep in mind this is just my opinion and others are free to have their own. No criticism intended except for the author of such a story who will no doubt end up being obscenely wealthy, at the expense of many young people and their parents.

I have plenty of eggs here so I better go get started. :/

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
I was very interested in reading this series - I like series that DS#2 and I can both read, then discuss, but I was put off by an interview with the author. What she meant when writing this trilogy, and what she had hoped people took away from them, didn't mesh with my belief system (don't ask for exact quote's or a link - I'd bet dollars to donuts I'd never find the one I read). Since then, I have heard positive reviews from people 'like me', so I may give it a go anyway.
Now, I wish I'd just read it, so I wouldn't be biased by that silly interview :/
That's the beauty of art. It is interactive. The artist may have one thing in mind when it is put to canvas, but the consumer of the art makes it their own. In our book discussion group, folks often take away completely different insights, but we all read the same book.

As to violence in the books kids read, I read Huck Finn when I was in the 5th grade, and started in on the Tarzan series at age 11, then moved on to Robert E. Howard at the ripe old age of 15. All of those were written ages ago.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Buster said:
That's the beauty of art. It is interactive. The artist may have one thing in mind when it is put to canvas, but the consumer of the art makes it their own. In our book discussion group, folks often take away completely different insights, but we all read the same book.
As my art teacher once explained to me: Art is a conversation. If a piece does not inspire discussion among the viewers (or in this case readers) then it is not art.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Old Sew'n'Sew said:
Call me old fashioned or closed minded or whatever, but I don't think I will be reading this. Teenagers fighting to the death? :ep :th I am kinda glad I don't have grandchildren growing up in these very troubling times.

Required reading? Didn't we just see a school shooting or 2 just a while back? :old

Keep in mind this is just my opinion and others are free to have their own. No criticism intended except for the author of such a story who will no doubt end up being obscenely wealthy, at the expense of many young people and their parents.

I'm with you Old Sew'n'Sew...my mind can't get around any kind of violence and it hurts my heart to read or watch almost anything that most people are interested in these days.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Old Sew'n'Sew said:

I'm with you Old Sew'n'Sew...my mind can't get around any kind of violence and it hurts my heart to read or watch almost anything that most people are interested in these days.
The violence is a symptom of the society as it is set up in the story. The book is NOT just about violence. You guys read the bible, right....there's a LOAD of violence and bloodbaths in there, but that's not what it's about either. Just saying.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same here...particularly when it is marketed towards kids. Makes me cringe....I'm sure it is an interesting movie and brings a lot of thoughts to fore that some folks probably weren't thinking before about survival in the aftermath of a world disaster, but I don't like the feeling of watching or reading violence~makes my insides twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts