Hunting and fishing stories

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Fun story: So, I was helping my dad gut/pluck and clean a turkey and my mom left right after we finished up, so then my mom calls there is a dead deer at the bottom of or driveway, we go down there it's about 85-pound deer, so we take the tenderloin back strap and rump roasts off and it was good dinner

we still don't know cause of death, but we do know she was still warm and when we opened her up she was still steaming warm

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fawns will be several months old and are much more tender... They are not killing little baby nursing fawns with the spots. Here we are pushing taking more does as they are getting way overpopulated... My DS put a limit of either a 6 pt buck or bigger... or any doe (or antlerless deer). We counted over 50 of the d@#ned things in the 10 acre field across from my house a couple of years ago decimating our winter wheat cover crop... There is at least one killed on the road just below me on an average of once every 2 weeks.
Those big bucks in rut are not the best eating, as they can be gamey... most every hunter around here that goes after the "racks" does eat the meat but they make better stew meat and ground meat and steaks and roasts taste better if marinated... The smaller more tender sizes make good steaks.... and everything else.
Morally I would rather a quick shot from a rifle or a bow than the front end of my vehicle....

We killed over 10 this summer on damage permits....

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We can get 1 "bonus" antlerless tag per hunter per day until they are gone/season ends. There's like 2,000 left in my county. They have been available since August! Some counties extend hunting season through Jan 31!
Thats a lot here in the US you can do the tagging online and with private property you have limits
but our neighbors are very adamant about filling their tags on our land

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm in corn, soybean, p-nut and cotton area. Our deer are well fed and overly abundant! Then the winter wheat is great forage 😁. If I harvested 10% of those -- and turkeys!! -- that I see close to home, I could feed the whole neighborhood all year. 20-30 in groups, several fields every night. Animals gabatch!

Last edited:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I used to live on a golf course until this summer. Those damn deer ate everything in sight. And constantly had twins. They were not afraid of humans. They would sleep in our shrubs and lay on the grass. It was one of the many reasons we finally thru in the towel and moved to acreage!
Here, there is like ONE deer and she's welcome to anything she wants.

Latest posts