Hunting and fishing stories

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely, that's how population management works. Gotta keep the antlerless population in check. In my county, the DNR has more antlerless tags available than hunters can fill. The county forester walked my property and advised DH to harvest as many as possible due to browse damage.

If we don't maintain the population, deer starve to death in winter. Gruesome.

I remember being told something about PETA protesting a hunt in California years ago. Tagged lotto hunt was being proposed because population got too high. Hunt was canceled and many times more animals starved to death that winter than would have been culled by the hunt.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BRUH
you rather take a yearling or a fawn then a big buck or doe??

also please don't post pics of those if they are fawns

also how do you kill a baby animal? morally??

They sell lamb and veal in the store. It's more tender meat. It's life is the same as an adult. Still much older than the actual chicks (8-10 weeks old) that are commercial chicken in the store. No moral dilemma there.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shameful when hunters can reduce numbers to prevent starvation AND put harvested meat to good use! In many cases the hunter is more humane than some butcher houses. Few are complaining about how MANY head of cattle, lamb, goat, pig, chicken, turkey are harvested. But raise hell about a hunter. :idunno

I don't hunt but could. Trust me, if I needed to eat I'd hunt!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There was a mention that antlers make good decoration. If there is a morality question here...Isn't it more immoral to kill an animal for decoration than it is to kill an animal for food?
However, most hunters who have that rack on the wall also have a freezer full of venison and/or sausage! :drool I have no respect for those that take a trophy and leave the meat where it was shot.... If you don't want to eat it at least donate it or give it to someone who can use it.

I've harvested roaster pigs that are fairly young. Quail get butchered at 6 - 8 weeks. I sell goats for cabrito. Honor that life you take by using as much of the animal as you can.

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They sell lamb and veal in the store. It's more tender meat. It's life is the same as an adult. Still much older than the actual chicks (8-10 weeks old) that are commercial chicken in the store. No moral dilemma there.
well this is true
Did not say I like it, I don't support/ buy lamb or veal!
Shameful when hunters can reduce numbers to prevent starvation AND put harvested meat to good use! In many cases the hunter is more humane than some butcher houses. Few are complaining about how MANY head of cattle, lamb, goat, pig, chicken, turkey are harvested. But raise hell about a hunter. :idunno

I don't hunt but could. Trust me, if I needed to eat I'd hunt!
yeah
see my sister would never eat the meat we shoot because she is against hunting
(I think she fell off her horse 1 too many times)
There was a mention that antlers make good decoration. If there is a morality question here...Isn't it more immoral to kill an animal for decoration than it is to kill an animal for food?
well duh

I meant that so you can use all the parts of the animal even if they seem useless

Steve Renella used moose antlers at plates!
However, most hunters who have that rack on the wall also have a freezer full of venison and/or sausage! :drool I have no respect for those that take a trophy and leave the meat where it was shot.... If you don't want to eat it at least donate it or give it to someone who can use it.
I agree we use all the meat
I HATE TROPHY HUNTERS
Yeah its so easy to donate
I've harvested roaster pigs that are fairly young. Quail get butchered at 6 - 8 weeks. I sell goats for cabrito. Honor that life you take by using as much of the animal as you can.
I Think me, and my dad will be doing some pigs in the next year.
Amen

Okay Am I dumb I don't see the point in killing an animal the size of a quail?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okay Am I dumb I don't see the point in killing an animal the size of a quail?
Have you tasted it? Two will feed me - DH usually has 3.

They're easy to raise. They grow fast and lay great. I've had them start laying eggs at 43 days old. Eggs are delicious. Meat is delicious. Best part - I can butcher one in about 3.5 minutes. Easiest meat I've ever raised!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do not eat veal because of how it's raised commercially. Only time I've had it was when great uncle had a calf get injured bad enough. So it went from field to butcher.

I eat my extra chickens. The boys are ready at about 6-8 months. Many of my family won't eat them, but that's because they are silkies and they don't like the color. Mom and Dad don't care. One little bird makes dinner for 2.

Many people, even chicken people, get weirded out by my eating silkie. Taste the same as ameraucana. I fed them the same when I was raising those so can say I've had both on different days the same week to compare.

I've had quail. Enough family hunt them. I'm not sure the size was worth the effort, even if they are good. I prefer pheasant.

If I was willing to care for more animals, I'd raise rabbits. Those grow fast and big enough to be worth it. Also can serve rabbit and everyone will think it's chicken.

We had some pronghorn antelope a few years ago. Last animal Dad went hunting for and he shared it. Didn't taste much different to deer and elk to me. I grew up eating those regularly.

I've thought about trying for a deer tag. Take out one of the pests that eat my garden. Have to bow hunt here, though. So sit in silkie coop and wait instead of on porch.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never had pheasant - but I wouldn't object to giving it a try! Not too many around here though...

Many hatcheries sell them. If you actually raise them, they need kept in tightly fenced and tightly netted pens.

Grandma used to send all her kids out after a hay field was cut to collect any eggs that survived. She'd incubate them and raise them until old enough to release.