Hunting and fishing stories

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've seen 'em in the hatchery catalogs before but never really thought about raising 'em. When I moved here more than 40 years ago we would occasionally (rarely) see one in a field. But I haven't seen one in decades now. :(

we used to have a lot more wandering around and you would hear them calling. the past few years we had only one that was around and would hear him calling once in a while. this past summer i only heard him calling maybe four times the whole season. hope they will come back. the field to the south of us was abandoned and if it is left alone next year perhaps that will draw them back more. also if i can get the field to the east of us brushhogged again that may also encourage them.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many hatcheries sell them. If you actually raise them, they need kept in tightly fenced and tightly netted pens.

Grandma used to send all her kids out after a hay field was cut to collect any eggs that survived. She'd incubate them and raise them until old enough to release.
Most states require a permit from the Game & Fish or DNR to raise pheasant. I don't know of any state where it is legal to take eggs from the wild.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay Am I dumb I don't see the point in killing an animal the size of a quail?
Because of their size I don't understand why more people don't eat pigeon.
Most states require a permit from the Game & Fish or DNR to raise pheasant. I don't know of any state where it is legal to take eggs from the wild.
If I'm not mistaken the permit is for raising "wild" pheasant with the intent to release. Not so much hatchery birds to butcher. (you may need to correct me)
Generally it's not a good idea to release domestic birds to the wild even if it is the same breed as the wild ones. FYI for those who think they're going to help the wild population the domestic birds can carry many diseases that can wipe out the wild population.
I think the egg thing was before laws to not do things and that's better than leaving them if the parents got hit by the sycle. I've seen birds, rabbits and snakes hanging out of square bales, no telling what's in some rounds.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
a lot of them are lost to over hunting. :(
There is not any "legal" hunting anymore that depletes a population. Now I wouldn't go shoot the only pair of something around. If anything it's more not enough hunting of a separte species that can pose a problem. Turkeys will eat young pheasant and quail AND their eggs. Also coyote and other predator hunting isn't as common anymore. Hunting is done to keep everything equal and the license, tags, permits go to helping wildlife.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
In Ohio, loss of habitat, in particular, farmland either replaced with housing tracts or returning to woodland is a major driver in the reduction in population. Increased coyote and turkey populations are not helping.

The state does annual hunting releases of penned raised birds at specific state hunting grounds. I haven't seen a wild pheasant in over 5 years, but routinely see turkey flocks of 20+.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a loss of habitat issue here also. However, the worst thing to happen to ground nesting brids in this area are FAHR ANTS (as Baymule would say, lol) I've had broody hens, even in a raised nest, get ant infested when hatching starts. I've had to intervene numerous times.
Because of their size I don't understand why more people don't eat pigeon.

I've considered this and may well give it a try. I've got an area I could put them in, just need to find brood stock. Won't happen this time of year, lol.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There is not any "legal" hunting anymore that depletes a population.

i don't think anyone cares about something as small an area as a neighborhood.

Now I wouldn't go shoot the only pair of something around. If anything it's more not enough hunting of a separte species that can pose a problem. Turkeys will eat young pheasant and quail AND their eggs. Also coyote and other predator hunting isn't as common anymore. Hunting is done to keep everything equal and the license, tags, permits go to helping wildlife.

sadly, i don't think the people in this neighborhood who hunt them care much as they have not been a steady population for quite a long time. it's been going downwards.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

This was back in the 80s and before. No one bothered anyone about stuff like that in Eastern Oregon. My other Grandpa didn't care about that as police chief and fish and game was more worried about poachers. Especially since ring neck pheasants are a non native species. I don't know what type of regulations they had back in the 80s.

Eggs were what survived the swather in the hay field. Not exactly a wild place. There'd be dead pheasants as well sometimes.

Don't need a permit here in Washington to raise them. Only if you plan on selling them.

Latest posts