Hunting and fishing stories

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Fun story: So, I was helping my dad gut/pluck and clean a turkey and my mom left right after we finished up, so then my mom calls there is a dead deer at the bottom of or driveway, we go down there it's about 85-pound deer, so we take the tenderloin back strap and rump roasts off and it was good dinner

we still don't know cause of death, but we do know she was still warm and when we opened her up she was still steaming warm

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm in corn, soybean, p-nut and cotton area. Our deer are well fed and overly abundant! Then the winter wheat is great forage 😁. If I harvested 10% of those -- and turkeys!! -- that I see close to home, I could feed the whole neighborhood all year. 20-30 in groups, several fields every night. Animals gabatch!

Last edited:

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many hatcheries sell them. If you actually raise them, they need kept in tightly fenced and tightly netted pens.

Grandma used to send all her kids out after a hay field was cut to collect any eggs that survived. She'd incubate them and raise them until old enough to release.
Most states require a permit from the Game & Fish or DNR to raise pheasant. I don't know of any state where it is legal to take eggs from the wild.

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
8 points. Not a monster, but he's handsome.

I prefer to read print books. (I am convinced people retain information better when they read from print. plus reading on a screen changes how we scan a page and it's not good.) I love my local library!
I love print books as well
they are so amazing

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a snaping turtle come when we were not looking and take the 2 fish right of our stringer at my grandad's house!!
I've had that more than once. A whole stringer FULL gone going down to the next pond then coming back. I learned a little from that and have had a basketful of fish snake bit while I/we were gone. They didn't make it in the basket yet, or they already got back out, which would be hard. Just a floating basket of dead fish.