Hunting and fishing stories

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We can get 1 "bonus" antlerless tag per hunter per day until they are gone/season ends. There's like 2,000 left in my county. They have been available since August! Some counties extend hunting season through Jan 31!
Thats a lot here in the US you can do the tagging online and with private property you have limits
but our neighbors are very adamant about filling their tags on our land

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've seen 'em in the hatchery catalogs before but never really thought about raising 'em. When I moved here more than 40 years ago we would occasionally (rarely) see one in a field. But I haven't seen one in decades now. :(

we used to have a lot more wandering around and you would hear them calling. the past few years we had only one that was around and would hear him calling once in a while. this past summer i only heard him calling maybe four times the whole season. hope they will come back. the field to the south of us was abandoned and if it is left alone next year perhaps that will draw them back more. also if i can get the field to the east of us brushhogged again that may also encourage them.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the permit is for raising "wild" pheasant with the intent to release. Not so much hatchery birds to butcher. (you may need to correct me)
Most states that have pheasant populations consider them game birds and require permits to have them and a specific permit if the birds are to be released. Some states may not require a permit for the exotic pheasants which would fall under the ag dept.'s jurisdiction. Ringneck pheasants require permits even if the plan is to produce them for food rather than release.

I do not know of any states that allow the collection of wild bird eggs.

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This big red stag has been seen a few times on a property I shoot on, he is safe as the land owner doesn't want him shot, plus I can't eat antler and have shot plenty of big stags over the years, heaps of yearlings around at the moment which are the target right now as we are into Summer.
Oh that's so cool
you can't eat antler, but they can be a pretty cool decoration!!
Wait wait wait ??? The summer? Where are you?

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
fawns and yearlings taste better anyway! What a beautiful big boy!
BRUH
you rather take a yearling or a fawn then a big buck or doe??

also please don't post pics of those if they are fawns

also how do you kill a baby animal? morally??

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely, that's how population management works. Gotta keep the antlerless population in check. In my county, the DNR has more antlerless tags available than hunters can fill. The county forester walked my property and advised DH to harvest as many as possible due to browse damage.

If we don't maintain the population, deer starve to death in winter. Gruesome.

I remember being told something about PETA protesting a hunt in California years ago. Tagged lotto hunt was being proposed because population got too high. Hunt was canceled and many times more animals starved to death that winter than would have been culled by the hunt.

Chicks in VA

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They sell lamb and veal in the store. It's more tender meat. It's life is the same as an adult. Still much older than the actual chicks (8-10 weeks old) that are commercial chicken in the store. No moral dilemma there.
well this is true
Did not say I like it, I don't support/ buy lamb or veal!
Shameful when hunters can reduce numbers to prevent starvation AND put harvested meat to good use! In many cases the hunter is more humane than some butcher houses. Few are complaining about how MANY head of cattle, lamb, goat, pig, chicken, turkey are harvested. But raise hell about a hunter. :idunno

I don't hunt but could. Trust me, if I needed to eat I'd hunt!
yeah
see my sister would never eat the meat we shoot because she is against hunting
(I think she fell off her horse 1 too many times)
There was a mention that antlers make good decoration. If there is a morality question here...Isn't it more immoral to kill an animal for decoration than it is to kill an animal for food?
well duh

I meant that so you can use all the parts of the animal even if they seem useless

Steve Renella used moose antlers at plates!
However, most hunters who have that rack on the wall also have a freezer full of venison and/or sausage! :drool I have no respect for those that take a trophy and leave the meat where it was shot.... If you don't want to eat it at least donate it or give it to someone who can use it.
I agree we use all the meat
I HATE TROPHY HUNTERS
Yeah its so easy to donate
I've harvested roaster pigs that are fairly young. Quail get butchered at 6 - 8 weeks. I sell goats for cabrito. Honor that life you take by using as much of the animal as you can.
I Think me, and my dad will be doing some pigs in the next year.
Amen

Okay Am I dumb I don't see the point in killing an animal the size of a quail?

Latest posts