I HATE DELAWARES-THEY KILLED ELSA

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's always the sweet ones that we lose -- so sorry. Yes, my EEs are, for the most part, sweeties. But, a couple are not. It depends on what was in the cross it seems. One of the reasons I like the larger hens, BOs, BRs,etc., they don't seem to be bent on hurting the others. A BR can be bossy but rarely have I had one attack.

I have sharp knives -- would sure help if near you!

Do you have other layers already?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a wonderful sweet Roo. He's an EE. He was number two for a long time until his partner got taken out by a fox. He's head and shoulders above all the hens, even the big ones, but he's really good at keeping them together, calling them if he finds food, letting the hens eat first, and standing between the hens and any possible danger. He's never once attacked any person, and doesn't leave any marks on his hens. They all follow him. The seven new chicks we have are all from him. He's still pretty young, but we like him a lot.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a sweet roo once, he died protecting his ladies. He was a BR mix. Our friend had a sweet australorp roo, also a great protector. He flew in the pig pen and was gobbled by the pigs. I have never heard a negative comment about australorps, good choice!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Delaware Mean Girls are on ice. Joining them for the ice party are two extremely vicious Wellsummer roosters and 2 roosters belonging to a neighbor. It took us 4 hours, an hour to clean up, then we hit the shower. The ice chest is in the kitchen floor, I'll start canning tomorrow.