I HATE DELAWARES-THEY KILLED ELSA

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just turned off the pressure canner, 16 pint jars of Delawares. We took the hogs and Dinner, the lamb wether to slaughter this morning. Then took the trailer through the carwash and came home. I been Delewaring ever since LOL. I have two big pots of bones simmering on the stove for broth. After the canner cools down and I unpack it and get it off the stove, I need to get another pot and transfer some of the bones to it. Drinking a strong cup of coffee now, feet up and sitting in my recliner.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, Bay, you've been BUSY! Sorry to hear about the pup and hope he'll be better soon :hugs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I ordered the CX, I also ordered 10 Australorp pullets and 2 roos. They are supposed to be an even tempered large chicken and good layers.

I have two Wellsummer roos that hit the wire when I walk by, so they are going too. Is there such thing as a nice roo? I used to keep only hens, we lived in town and I didn't want the crowing to draw attention. The Wellsummer roos are big and will make some nice Mean Rooster Soup!

I only name a few of the chickens. Elsa was special.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is there such thing as a nice roo?
I have Black Orpingtons, Lavender Orpingtons and Coronation Sussex - all big meaty roos and I've never had a mean one in the bunch. Even my EE roo is well behaved...oh and the Barred Holland roo is a gentleman too. In fact, even the crosses that will be harvested are all nice. My theory is they have each other to spar with so they leave me the heck alone. Or maybe through the generations the story of what happened to the ONE mean rooster I had about 15 years ago lives on in my chicken flock. If they heard that story they darn sure know better than to give me any grief, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw you're awesome! My incubator will be full for the next three weeks, then it's free :)

Latest posts