I love my dump

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Happens all the time. Folks get all excited about gardening. Enamored with the idea of being able to pick fresh veggies right in their own back yards. Then, they get a reality dose: soil prep, weed control, insect damage, weather doesn't cooperate. "What? You mean I have to actually roll up my sleeves and tend my garden???"

Kind of like all the exercise equipment that makes it's way to Craig's List or the road side every spring. "What? You mean that exercise bike or tread mill won't make me skinny? You mean that I actually have to get on the thing and expend some muscle energy... on a regular basis... to look like the model on the box it came in?????"

Just for the record: I hate exercise in any way, shape, or manner unless there is a physical reward to be reaped in the process. I think my broadfork is THE BEST total body work out system I've ever encountered.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday, I brought home 3 books to read, and a big score: 2 chicken waterers. Both in excellent shape. One was a 2 G plastic bell, and the other was a 1 G plastic chick waterer. They will both be bleached, and be stored for next time I raise chicks.

The wood chip piles are being replenished, and the compost pile has hardly been touched. Need to get a closer look at the spent stable litter pile. Loading the truck with chips, compost and litter is a wonderful exercise work out for a cool evening.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today, I came home with a set of Libby tumblers, in a pattern that matches my kitchen well. Brand new, still in original box. Also found some appropriate glassware that I can use to melt my bee's wax for the salves I am making. Then.... on to the burn pile: I found (8) 2" x 8" x 8' planks. Gently used. Several of them were miter cut on one end. These will be used to make some wonderful raised beds in the garden.

I also brought home a set of XC skis. I intend to remove the hardware from them, and use them as skids when I re-make my chicken tractor.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Went to Lowe's yesterday, came home with 1 G of Thompson's oil based weather shield/stain. BUT, the real bonus was 1 G of deep penetrating oil based stain (for interior use) on the "oops!" shelf which was being sold for $1.24.

Then, Bruce (on @Beekissed ) forum dropped a comment about charring wood. Thanks, Bruce and Bee for the info you shared!!!

Which led me on a bunny trail about Shou Sugi Ban. An ancient Japanese wood preservation method. So... I plan to first do SSB, followed by an oil treatment of these 2 x 8's before turning them into raised beds. That should preserve the life of the wood far more than simply staining it!

http://easternwhitepine.org/shou-sugi-ban-japanese-technique-makes-pine-wood-waterproof-with-fire/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=d9on3ZUVRyI

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sat, I brought home an extra large dog crate. Bronze finish, a tiny bit of rust. One tiny section had been broken and repaired by weaving some light weight wire through it. Still plenty fine to use for a broody pen!

Keeping my eye on glass refrigerator shelving, but not picking any up yet. There's always plenty of that available! I plan to make some cold frames for my raised garden beds. But, that project needs to wait till I close down the garden for the season.

I also picked up a microwave glass twirly thing. I love having those things available on the kitchen counter. I keep my coffee pot on one. Makes it super easy to slide the pot around without the rubber feet leaving marks on the counter.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey FYI: we've added this to our featured items on the Homepage!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a gold mine, not a dump! I wish we could go through the dump here, but it's a no-go.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am truly blessed.
*There is a 2 bay garage where people drop off clothing, books, furniture, and other household items to be recycled.
*Often, windows and doors, as well as other recyclable building materials are placed beside the demolition dumpster, instead of being thrown in. I've even seen rolls of electrical wire placed there.
*Then, the burn pile... often brand new boards, as well as lightly used lumber. There are signs posted that dump picking is not allowed. But, the employees look the other way. I've never been reprimanded for my brazen "picking". Of course, I exercise safety, and wouldn't cross the fence to pick OUT OF the demo dumpster. But, have used a rake to retrieve something from the top before!
*The compost area is an absolute gold mine!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a gold mine, not a dump! I wish we could go through the dump here, but it's a no-go.

Same here. It's discouraged.

That said -- since I know the head guy at this location, if I see anything I "must have", he looks away. LOL Sometimes we have an issue if a higher up has spied it.....just senseless to not recycle some of this fully reusable stuff. But, I can understand.

Latest posts