I made bread and a PIC!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Karen I don't know if the bread is supposed to be a high rising loaf, since the recipe calls for cutting slits in it. Usually when it calls for slits it is a flater loaf. My recipe is a 1/2 & 1/2 with whole wheat too.

Tip for experimenting with the honey, the interchange with them is 3/4 cup honey to 1 cup sugar.

But they do look absolutely delicious! Good job!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea HM
I kinda thought the same thing...to be a flater type loaf.

thanks for the info!

I am glad you told me the honey part also. I want to use honey vs. sugar any day...COOL

I will try again and improve upon it.

I tried a 1/2 of the roll today at lunch with a little butter in the toaster, WOW, I loved it. The bread has held very nicely.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks for the info 2dream
yea I think I heard also with wheat flour to let it rise longer....I "almost" let it double in size but I rushed it..HA HA

no patience me!
LOL
thanks for the tips!!! I think with this easy recipe I can improve alot and make this all the time.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My family prefers the 1/2 & 1/2 recipe too. So I have stuck with it although I am a little bit more like 3/4 whole wheat & 1/4 bread flour. But they don't know that & what they don't know won't hurt them will it?

Making your own bread is a lot cheaper than buying it too, so more SS for you!!

Oh btw you don't have to call me HM, you can call me Pam I don't mind if everyone here knows my real name, in fact I was thinking about adding it to my sig line.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I think I will go to 3/4 wheat also cause I do like the texture and taste. I want away from white flours but it does add something to the combo ya know.

it is funny cause in one post I call you Pam and them in another I say HM.....LOL----I kinda want to respect your privacy just in case it matters to you....Pam it will be. Makes it easier for me to remember one thing.................any more than that and I might need medication to remember..HA HA HA

I know I want honey in there. The honey wheat just has a great flavor and my local honey guys have delish honey. I have tons around and want out of using sugar as much as possible.

I go thru MAYBE 5 lbs. of sugar per year if that. Remember I am not a baker or anything..lol. But I wouldn't mind cutting that down to 2 lbs a year..HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I changed my sig line so my name is on there, so if I wanted that much privacy I am in trouble now!

I buy a 24oz bag of organic sugar each month from Walmart, but we don't use that much every month, some months we hardly touch it. I have been using honey & agave more & more over the last yr. I just found out about the interchange ratio a few weeks ago when I read an agave cookbook at a gift shop. Going to see if I can find he recipe online for agave margherita's!! Looked absolutely delic & with summer coming I am looking forward to the frozen drinks again to cool off with.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use sorghum instead of honey or molasses in my 1/2 and 1/2 wheat bread. It is locally purchased and has a wonderful flavor. Try it and let me know.
I like to sub honey for sugar in recipes too.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sorghum really is an aquired taste. Not that it tastes bad or any thing but is a very strong flavor. My dad likes it & I tried it but it would have to be something I ate on a routine basis to really begin to like it I think(not that I didn't like it when I tried it).

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, what is bread flour? Is that just all purpose flour or is it specifically different. I knew about cake flour but not bread flour.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bread flour is made from types of wheat with higher gluten, a form of protein that forms bonds that allow for the bubbles made by the yeast. Nice strong bonds allow for higher rising, lighter bread.

You can even buy gluten by itself to add to your bread recipes to enhance this effect.

Pastry flour does not form bonds that are as strong, hence the flakiness and tenderness, as in pie crust, cookies, biscuits.

I, for one, think that flat loaf looked especially yummy.....my first thought was, wouldn't that make GREAT sandwiches! I pictured a big party hoagie, mmmmmm! Or "french bread" style pizza!