I need to get my head on straight

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I kinda have the same problem since the house I live in is for sale. So no garden, no chickens, no hanging clothes to dry. Never know when a buyer will come to look through. I try to accomplish something each day. Maybe it's making bread, or sorting through an old box from the garage, or weeding the flowers. In the winter especially, I had to work to even do a load of laundry or wash dishes. Now I can't wait to do something else, like make more soap, or sew a skirt. All I can think of is "someone buy this house, and let me find a good rental house!" Anyway, it's better than nothing. And when I only have a couple bucks in the bank, I'll still surf the web for recipes and ideas of ways to be more SS. Then I make lists of goals, and materials I need to accomplish those goals. Sometimes all I do is go through a grocery ad to find sales.

Someday I'll have a garden, chickens, (maybe a goat!) and lots of room to spread out, but until then I can PLAN for that day. I hope get out of your funk. :hugs

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Bee your comments really touched me. You are (as usual) right on the money. I need to stop worrying and just do what makes me happy.
You are right about the seed starting...newly sprouted seedlings put a smile on my face like no other accomplishment in the world. I need to just take a step in the right direction every single day.

My recent past has really driven home the fact that there really is no security in life, but I still crave it, and the lack of it drive this anxiety on me. I try to pray, but frequently fall short...something that I need to work on.

I know that many of you really do understand where I am coming from and I am so grateful to have your feedback and support. It really convinces me (at least for the moment!) that it is all going to be ok, I just need to have faith, take baby steps and keep moving forward... no matter how impossible some days may seem.

HennyP, I hope that house sells quickly so that you too can get on with your dreams girl!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace said:
I need some feedback and you all are the best resource, so maybe someone can offer me some advice....

Those of you who have been on this forum for a while know that our business crashed and we lost our home last year. In Dec we moved to a nice rental home that we are happy with...for now.

My problem is that we are in a rental. I am hesitant to DO anything...I did go ahead and get my chicks, but I can't plant fruit trees, I am hesitant to put in a garden (the soil sucks and it would be quite an investment of time and money..and my back).
I had started on this path to become slightly more SS...nice garden, learning to can, bunny, compost, worms, reading and learning what I could do to reduce my footprint and live in a more thoughtful way, but I feel like a big brick wall went up blocking me from moving forward on that path.

Now I just feel as if the rug has been yanked out from under me. I feel a constant anxiety, I am sure I am depressed. Mostly I do not even bother to hang out my laundry..I figure why bother and just throw it in the dryer to get it over with. There are so many things that are important to me that I am not able to do/accomplish right now. Not having a garden breaks my heart but when I think about the time and money that would need to go into it, I just can't justify it.

I am just so frustrated...yet I know that all things happen for a reason and I just need to sit tight until the reason becomes apparent. I know that many of you all have gone thru your own struggles...so tell me how do you keep plugging away and not give up when you feel that it is all pointless and that you are just spinning your wheels?
Hey Dace

Sorry to hear about the funk you are in...you will pull out of it. I know, I have been there! :) All of us have at many times thru our lives.

That "brick wall" you keep running into....well that is just life gal. Yup, unavoidable but manageable.

Your are playing the "wanna be" game and it will waste your life. You wanna be living here, wanna be doing this and that and it just takes your life from you. Don't do it....LOL...easier said than done, cause I have that problem also at times.

Live life today, now.....do what you can to make today a happy day and don't worry about what can't be achieved right now. Hanging laundry saves money and your footprint smaller...those are great achievements actually! Small, sure, but doable for you!

Hang in there ----oh, by the way, how is your cooking biz doing? You wanted to get into that lesson type biz? Is it working out for you yet?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Get yourself some container sized fruit trees, they exist, and sure they don't produce as much but you can work with them. Also, raised beds. Don't feel hopeless! You can do a lot even if you don't intend on staying too long.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks all....today is better (of course, doesn't it always go that way? Just when you feel like you can't take much more the sun breaks thru the clouds and lift your spirits...or in my case, some caring people have taken the time to listen to me whine and have given me some great heartfelt advice :) )

So I have decided... screw it! I will follow Bee's advice and 'grow where I am planted'. I picked up and really started reading my How to Grow More Vegetables book by John Jeavons and I formulated a plan :weee I will build raised beds and jump in where I am. With in a few years I will have developed 1300 sq feet of garden space, if I am still here I will reap the benefits and if we move I will disassemble my bed frames and take them with me and start over.
I will build them one bed at a time, as money allows, and not stress over it. As long as I keep starting seeds I will have to find a place for them right? 1-100sq foot bed at a time won't cost much....and it will make me feel like I am progressing.

Started hanging my laundry out again, planted potatoes which I had purchased and let sit way too long...they probably won't produce but it got me out digging in the yard and I feel good about that! I also sat and watched my little chickerdoodles for a bit, I am so thankful that I have them.

Karen, I am teaching my classes. I just finished my first 6 week session and tomorrow I start the second. I have two groups this session. I only have kids at this point but it is really fun and I do enjoy it...probably more than I would enjoy the adults!