I need to get my head on straight

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late chiming in on this, but what the heck. I've lived in 5 places in the last 25 yrs and I planted a garden in all but the first one which was an apt. complex. Ever time I moved I hated saying goodbye to my garden but jumped right in and started over at the next place. My landlords never minded and only one asked me to reseed the garden with grass when I moved. Every move saw my garden grow a little bit larger. Will we be here forever? Who knows. Work is really slow this year and we are walking a very fine line, but I will still work my now 5000 sq. ft. garden. If we ever have to move again, I'll just start over again. What you will always have is the knowledge you acquired along the way.
So get out there and start digging. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
I know I'm a little late chiming in on this, but what the heck. I've lived in 5 places in the last 25 yrs and I planted a garden in all but the first one which was an apt. complex. Ever time I moved I hated saying goodbye to my garden but jumped right in and started over at the next place. My landlords never minded and only one asked me to reseed the garden with grass when I moved. Every move saw my garden grow a little bit larger. Will we be here forever? Who knows. Work is really slow this year and we are walking a very fine line, but I will still work my now 5000 sq. ft. garden. If we ever have to move again, I'll just start over again. What you will always have is the knowledge you acquired along the way.
Thanks UncleJoe...I know in my head that you are right, you can't let where you live determine who you are. I am a gardener, and just like you have done I need to learn to flourish and do my thing where ever I happen to live. We have been homeowners for 20 years, so this is just a new way of thinking that I need to adjust to.

Your garden (HUGE!) sounds amazing. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective :thumbsup

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great news on the cooking biz!!!

And remember to plant big gardens whenever you can and maybe make alot of veggie dishes....that way you can save money on ingredients and pocket the gain! :)

keep truckin'

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Dace - how did you plant your potatos? I am trying peddlers method with the chicken wire frame but I have also planted in black contractor bags. The black contractor bags are an experiment so I have no clue what is going on in there. I will be harvesting in a few weeks probably and can't wait to find out. I hope it works because it is so easy.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
2dream, I just loosened the soil (I know that sounds easy but it took me several hours with a heavy pick), amended it, mounded it up a bit....dropped in the spuds, covered them by about 1 1/2 inches and then I put about an 8 inch layer of straw on top.

I am way late in planting them and have never tried growing them before so this is an experiment too!

I would think that the black bags would get too hot...no?

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
unclejoe said:
Thanks UncleJoe...I know in my head that you are right, you can't let where you live determine who you are. I am a gardener, and just like you have done I need to learn to flourish and do my thing where ever I happen to live. We have been homeowners for 20 years, so this is just a new way of thinking that I need to adjust to.

Your garden (HUGE!) sounds amazing. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective :thumbsup
It's actually 2 separate plots, both about the same size. One is sweet corn with a few watermelon plants at the end. The other one is everything else. New this year are 150 strawberry plants and 7 black raspberries. At least with a lighter work load I have more to time to take care of all that stuff. Maybe I can use some of it to make up for the loss of income from the tree business. :fl