IDLE CHIT CHAT

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He is fond of saying that he was born in the basement and has managed to climb the stairs a few floors, but he's not afraid to go back down to the basement. These folks he was talking to were born on the 100th floor and have been scrambling like heck to stay there.

******LOL-LOL Poppycat
sounds like your man likes to get a rise out of people.....I do that sometimes..hehehehe..

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My ducklings are so cute ya'll! I just love em!

My 3 year old got so upset to day, he had an accident. It was an hour and a half drive to Harley's girl's house, so that's a looong time for a little one to hold it. Unfortunately, I was brain dead and forgot to pack him a change of clothes!! Harley gave him a pair of shorts to borrow, so he was OK with that. Poor little guy. :(

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am glad you are so happy with your ducks, funny how excited we can get over stuff that other people couldn't fathom.
I hatched some BBS Orpingtons this week and they are just the cutest little things. I think they are definitely blue.
My Black Copper Marans are growing so fast and they are like dive bombers. I have never seen such young chicks be so active, flying across the brooder bouncing off the walls.
They are alot of fun to watch, so I get what you mean by the ducks.

Bummer about not having the extra change of clothes, it happens.
What I started doing a few years ago was packing up a duffle bag with a complete change of clothes for every child in the family and it stays in the trunk of my car.
I never take it out unless its to add stuff or exchange sizes in it and then it goes right back in the car so it doesn't get forgotten.

I got a nice duffle bag with side pockets and inner pockets,
I have a complete change of clothes for every child, with a couple of extra socks and underpants thrown in.

Sometimes I change the clothes for the season or I just keep long pants and shirts in there with shorts and t shirts as well.

A sweatshirt for each child.

Handi wipes.

A mini emergency kit, I have a regular one in the car but this one has a few basics, bandaids and stuff like that.

A bottle of children's pain reliever

Allergy medicine

Sunscreen

Hats

Sunglasses

Gloves and/or mittens

Hair elastics

Brush

Q-tips and nailclippers

Quarters-I always need em for some reason, but thats probably just my own thing.

A plastic bag for wet or dirty clothes

This has served me well over the years and I have been able to help out alot of other moms in a pinch.

One of my friends always jokes about my mommy survival bag, if someone needs something she will say well Natalie probably has it in her duffle bag, and I usually do.
She likes to tease me about it but always says how grateful she is that I have saved her a few times.
Sometimes it turns cold quick and someone doesn't have a sweatshirt or jacket with them, or their kid (or mine )jumps in a puddle. Its good to have dry socks.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the simple life- I do the same thing! I have my vehicle packed up for every situation I can think of. Usually because I needed it.

A change of clothes for everyone: Pants, shirt, socks, underwear, jackets, hats and gloves

Medicine that might be needed: Tylenol, tums and allergy

Handwipes, Kleenex, Toothfloss, Eyeglass cleaner

Flashlights, Fan, Towels, laundry soap

Books, magazines, paper, pens, pencils

Plastic bowls, spoons, forks, knives, baggies

Gallon water, snacks

Dog food and water

Large cooler

That's all I can think of now.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hmmm well I'm changing the subject a little since this is "idle chit chat", but just had to have somewhere to post this. My International Business Teacher brought this up today and it just scares me to no end.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23476268-38200,00.html

if you don't feel like reading the story. A team of scientist stuck human DNA into cow DNA or egg or something ( I don't really understand it) and allowed it to live for 3 days.
Whats worse? They got the technique from a team of scientist who did it in bunnies!! and they actually harvested human stem cells from the bunnies! Does that not scare anyone else? I know they are going to use them for research for alzheimers, and other diseases, but this is to much like playing God.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
poppycat said:
I know my DH just mentioned hunting squirrel at my son's football practice and people got all kinds of upset. Of course he has been known to be less than tactful from time to time.

Personally, I think hunting is about the ultimate in self sufficiency as long as people are doing it to eat and they're not wiping out huge wildlife populations in the process. Sadly there are so many of us to feed that not everyone can hunt for their food.

Also I think just about everyone on this forum is pretty cool about staying not jumping all over someone just because they have other opinions or other experiences, which is of course why I like it so much.

Happy hunting ticks :)
And this was with a group of people that enjoy the violence of football?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Cute little ducklings turn into yucklings. At least the Pekin kind do.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Beekissed,

I'm having a hard time keeping up with your avatar.
That last one about the process failing was an ode to the Blog thread! :lol: Did you catch that one? Too funny!