IDLE CHIT CHAT

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Inchworm, sorry you're not well. Get better soon.:hugs

Ticks, glad you're back on. Hadn't seen you post for a while. Oh, and that is one bee-u-ti-ful bird.

Simple life, congrats on your first egg! :clap Another of my buff orps just came online yesterday.

Reinbeau, you'll have to post pics when you get your coop finished. I'm sure it's adorable.

Dace, I don't even want to think about Christmas yet.
I gather alot of natural decorations, too. Magnolia leaves are really pretty when you spray paint them gold. Lay some red nandina berries with them and voila', instant decoration.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! I'm off to Bible Study group this morning.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I don't want to think about christmas, either, LOL I'm making new nesting boxes for the juvenile Barred Rocks that will start laying soon. We found some old salt block holders that the FIL has had in his shed FOREVER, lol...seriously, like 30 years. Anyway, they look like a basket, so I'm going to wrap them with chicken wire and put straw in them...all I'll have to do is put a board across the front and POOF! free nesting boxes!! lol woohoo!!!

oh yeah, I guess I should mow the grass today..supposed to rain tomorrow. :(

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Thanks guys :D
He is immature that is why his head isn't totally blue/green. We use them for different uses, breeding and hunting.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
First egg today? That's cause for a celebration! How old was the hen? We were supposed to get the nest boxes in place today, but instead Greg concentrated on putting the roof on the run. But I do see an end to the coop, finally! I've got it all painted, there's a few pieces of trim left to put on it, but it's getting there...
Hi Ann,
I posted in another thread but in case you miss that one.
This particular hen was 24 weeks old yesterday. There are 6 more the same age as her in the same coop so I am hoping they all catch on.
The rest of the girls are all between 22-24 weeks old and they should be laying soon too.
I think your coop looks great, I didn't realize you had anymore work to do on it.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Over the past week Greg has closed in the eaves completely, and I've painted everything twice. He put the hardware cloth over the windows and framed them in with 2x4's. The wire is almost finished overhead on the run, I've got to put the apron in place, and he's still got to build the gate, then I'm going to set the large granite blocks I've got under the opening to close the gab between the gate and the ground. Then there's trim boards for the front corners, and the nest boxes (they're going in today). Then it's finally finished! I think we started in March, hopefully by the end of this month it'll all be sewn up tight. In the meantime the girls come out and run around when we're home. I'll still do that after the run is finished, but at least they'll be able to go out during the day when I'm at work finally. I feel bad for them, like they're confinement hens! :|

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is the biggest reason I am not looking forward to winter Reinbeau. MY chickies will be all locked up. I have a plan tho.
I am going to try to wrap the run in plastic outside of the chicken wire. :D

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Good morning all. We had 12-18" of new snow this weekend. It was supposed to pass us and hit Montana & Wyoming. It was verrry wet but then it got down to 9 degrees so is verrry frozen now. I am so glad my turkeys are in the freezer and I had gotten ready (more or less) for winter on Friday.
What's left of the garden is hidden under beautiful stuff.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys are getting snow before us! LOL Glad it's you not me though...our winters are long enough already:>)