IDLE CHIT CHAT

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I don't think her husband would find out if I talked to her, he and his brother are both in jail, no bond has been set.

Right after he was booked, he got the crap beat out of him. He had to have stitches above his eye and he now has a broken nose.

The paper says another family member may also be arrested. :(

It's just so sad.
I can't even imagine what those poor girls went through...I'll keep them in my prayers

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:( No offense to you QA, but he might have thought that you were someone he could have intimidated.
They have a lot more beatings coming when they go to prison.
Be there for her if you can QA, make sure she understands that, no one blames her, that this is for the best and that they are sick, sick people. Try to tell her that it is ok to be scared, but it will not always be this way. Giver her some of your strength QA.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, so far today, I have fed and watered my animals, fed and watered my neighbours animals, got my kids to school b/c they missed the bus. I have been sitting here for about an hour. It is a beautiful day outside so I'm going out to clean my new (to me) rabbit cagein preparation for our new rabbits. See ya this afternoon.!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
roosmom said:
:( No offense to you QA, but he might have thought that you were someone he could have intimidated.
If he had tried to intimidate me, he would have a rude awakening! Hubby taught me how to shoot rats!

roosmom said:
They have a lot more beatings coming when they go to prison.
GOOD! Someone needs to knock the snot outta both of em!! But it still wouldn't be enough pain inflicted for what they did!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Ok, so far today, I have fed and watered my animals, fed and watered my neighbours animals, got my kids to school b/c they missed the bus. I have been sitting here for about an hour. It is a beautiful day outside so I'm going out to clean my new (to me) rabbit cagein preparation for our new rabbits. See ya this afternoon.!!!
Wow! You had a busy morning already!

Nice day here, too. I am hoping we finish the brooder coop today. Just the door left to do! :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Quail...if they are going to arrest another family member, it very likely is the mother.
I know that we all have a soft spot for the abused, but really, she allowed it to go on and she deserves not to be be-friended, but to go to jail!
Sorry to sound harsh but she deserves what she gets ...assuming that she had knowledge, and really how could she not?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
I honestly don't know what gets into them. We have suspected that he was beating his wife for awhile now, and no matter how many times we have called the sheriff to report the screams coming from down there, they never came out. We have no idea how it was found out.

My heart is broken, simply because I honestly think I am the ONLY woman that lady ever got to talk to. Her husband refused to let her talk to anyone else. Why he let her talk to me, I dunno, unless he knew she wouldn't hint to anything. She and the girls always stared at the ground, and couldn't look you in the eye when talking to you.

It just breaks my heart.

I want to go over and see if she needs anything. My husband doesn't want me to get involved. We think the county took the girls last night (with good reason) and we saw the mom walking down our road by herself and she just looked so dejected.
She is obviously a woman who has been extremely abused along with her daughters. She probably knew what was going on but her extreme fear kept her from acting. Sad when a man has that much control over his family. If you do talk to her let her know that it is not her fault...that there are good people out there. Let her know that she does have a friend in you. Her husband doesn't ever have to know that you are her friend. I think she needs you more than you know Quail.
I agree, Aly. I don't want you to anger your husband, but I'd go to her and ask her if she's all right - and let her cry on your shoulder if she can. Poor thing. I know many condemn women for staying with men like that, but long ago I read an essay titled "Why did she stay?". It was horribly thought provoking. Mainly they stay because they are so beaten down, they believe it when their man tells them he'll kill them if they try anything.

Dace, I don't know what to say - blaming the victim much there? Are you a man or a woman? Do you have children, or are you a child still? Yes, what you've written sounds incredibly harsh, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...life experiences and maturity would hopefully make you realize you've condemned a beaten woman for something she truly in her mind had to way of stopping.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
MorelCabin said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
I honestly don't know what gets into them. We have suspected that he was beating his wife for awhile now, and no matter how many times we have called the sheriff to report the screams coming from down there, they never came out. We have no idea how it was found out.

My heart is broken, simply because I honestly think I am the ONLY woman that lady ever got to talk to. Her husband refused to let her talk to anyone else. Why he let her talk to me, I dunno, unless he knew she wouldn't hint to anything. She and the girls always stared at the ground, and couldn't look you in the eye when talking to you.

It just breaks my heart.

I want to go over and see if she needs anything. My husband doesn't want me to get involved. We think the county took the girls last night (with good reason) and we saw the mom walking down our road by herself and she just looked so dejected.
She is obviously a woman who has been extremely abused along with her daughters. She probably knew what was going on but her extreme fear kept her from acting. Sad when a man has that much control over his family. If you do talk to her let her know that it is not her fault...that there are good people out there. Let her know that she does have a friend in you. Her husband doesn't ever have to know that you are her friend. I think she needs you more than you know Quail.
I agree, Aly. I don't want you to anger your husband, but I'd go to her and ask her if she's all right - and let her cry on your shoulder if she can. Poor thing. I know many condemn women for staying with men like that, but long ago I read an essay titled "Why did she stay?". It was horribly thought provoking. Mainly they stay because they are so beaten down, they believe it when their man tells them he'll kill them if they try anything.

Dace, I don't know what to say - blaming the victim much there? Are you a man or a woman? Do you have children, or are you a child still? Yes, what you've written sounds incredibly harsh, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...life experiences and maturity would hopefully make you realize you've condemned a beaten woman for something she truly in her mind had to way of stopping.
Well, I am a mom and I have never been hit, so I can definitely say I do not know what I am talking about. I don't understand the mindset. But it is a criminal act to allow children to be abused, even if you are being abused as well.
Edited to add, I am sorry to have offended you, that was certainly not my intention.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Most independent yet married women have no idea what it's like to live in an abusive relationship. When I was married to the first one, he knew, if he ever laid a hand on me it would be the last time - and he had a nasty temper, I've got holes all over the house in walls (those have been fixed) and hollow core doors left over from him (I need to replace them). I would never be in that situation. Some women just aren't that strong. Of course she should have protected her kids - she probably thought she was protecting them, by making sure he didn't kill them. Seriously. Men like that are deranged, there's no predicting when that one punch is going to be the final one. So I'm sure she did the best she could. It's too bad she didn't try to get out, but as I said, if she did, she probably thought he would find her and kill her, and her kids. That's how beaten down women can get in situations like that. Horribly sad, and of course we wish she could have been stronger. So you throw her in jail now? Now that he's out of the picture (hopefully!) she and her girls can all heal. Maybe her girls will hold her responsible? Who knows? One thing I do know, however, is I doubt there's any punishment on earth that can be worse for her than what she's already gone through.

I'm not offended, just trying to point out a perspective it seems you hadn't considered. I'm as hard core as they come, but I've seen this quite a few times. Sometimes things end up right, we can only hope that's what will happen here.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Also, the only fact, per se, is that Quail said this man has been arrested and charged. he has not been convicted. The wife assault is suspected-not confirmed. So all this is speculation which IMO= gossip.

Sorry, I hate to be a party pooper, and I certainly do not condone any such behaviour towards women or children. But I don';t think it is our place to convict ppl on the little info we have.