If the SHTF today......

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
First thing I would do would be assess what I have in the pantry and figure out how to ration it until I knew I could get more food. Then I would start planning my garden accordingly.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
even tho' I've been tryin' to buy a few extras here and there, I know we don't have enough to get thru until my garden starts producing.

I think I would be of those you see on tv buying as much as possible at the grocery store.

The day of 9/11, I went to pick up my DD at school and passed a gas station. The gas was over $6.00 a gal and a line out to the street. talk about panic. I think people panicing cause the most problems.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I'd be fine for 4-6 months, if loss of power, I would be good because my generator uses natural gas.

I would continue to hunt to harvest meat, might build a indoor herb garden.

My first instinct is to protect what I have in this order: family, food, dog, chickens and property.

I'd listen to several of my wave radios to hear some cross communications to keep on what changes were happening out in the big world. I would continue to adapt according to the world changing around me. Safety, food/water and protecting my clan would be the everyday agenda.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh, I don't think I'd make it that long either, but depending upon the emergency you might be able to get food before your garden starts producing again. Plus . . . you could forage for a few things, if you had to. Chewing on some kinds of bark, supposedly works as a hunger supressant.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Wouldn't it depend a whole lot on what kind of 'S' it *was*?

As a generic response, MorelCabin's seems by far the most sensible to me :p

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't worry about this situation either. I won't allow myself to "go that far" in my life. I can't live to worry about a future that might or might not happen. If I do that, I feel like I am not living my present life. I don't want to do that to myself.

Also depends on what "S".

I have 120 acre farm. I know I have plenty to hunt, plenty animals and a many friend farmer support system....and produce is no problem. we would eat.

could I get my money from the bank? just too many questions to worry about honestly.

when I know the "S" that happens....then I would jump accordingly and act fast to make that "S" not work against me. So I would formulate the "S" based on what it is and take extra action.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'd rejoice because it would mean I could stay home & work on getting more SS, as I would no longer have to make the 45 minute commute to my desk job and be out of my house for 10 hours a day.
LOL

I would have to go get Abi! She doesn't drive and I have more supplies than she does. She just doesn't have the room to stock up.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was just curiouse since my mom has always had the "head for the hills and revert about 100 years. The women do the cooking and cleaning and tending to the younin's and the men supply the food and the protection"

maybe I'm just more backwoods than I thought.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Preparing for the poop to hit the oscillating device is what has brought me to the self sufficient lifestyle. I am as prepared as I can be, given my financial status. There are several things I need, such as an 80 plus watt solar generator, a water filtering and purification system, and a few more cases of toilet paper. I have alternative heat sources for cooking, a moderate amount of fuel of several types, and enough water storage for a month or so. I have a highly secure source for self defense and precious metals at another location. And at that...I am only marginally prepared to live in a situation of total economic or social collapse.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Again, depending on what the "S" was we would probably be okay for several months but we would need more toilet paper....

Latest posts