If the SHTF today......

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'm not prepping for any catastrophes here, just living life.
While we do talk about TSHTF scenarios, there are more likely every day disasters that I do think you should prepare for. Here is the Colorado list...

Blizzards: We don't get a ton of snow, but when we get the right weather conditions, we get several feet at a time. We had a friend get stuck at our house for 3 days. They closed the roads to his place and we couldn't get to a store. Good thing I had extra food :D

Flash Floods: One hit our area a few years back. It didn't get to our property, but it did hit the major roads. No travel for a couple of days. Ended up helping a friend try to save her furniture....so a lot of wading through waist high muck (and I am tall! Waist high is HIGH!). In this case, extra first aid supplies and extra food were a necessity.

Electrical outages: High winds (common in our area) and those flash floods I talked about earlier are hell on power lines. We were once without electric for 2 weeks. My camping supplies came in VERY HANDY during that time. We did a lot of grilling and were able to get a block of dry ice for the freezer so we didn't lose anything because of it.

Rock slides and forest fires are also actual risks here. More UNLIKELY scenarios include looting and rioting, Zombie infestation, Pikes Peak becoming an active volcano, etc... But, when you are prepared for the very possible emergencies, is it silly to throw in an extra box of shot gun shells, more dry goods and extra cases of tp?

While you can never be prepared for every possible emergency, when you are prepared for one or 2 possibles, the weird ones aren't that big of a deal.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I would do the same thing if the TSHTF as I do everyday.
Try to survive as best I can with what I have to work with.
And to be honest. There are just some things that could happen that I hope I don't have to try to survive through.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
So very right Wifezilla.

We have ice storms that have left us with no power for up to 10 days at a time. (We may be in the city, but our lines only serve three homes so we are ALWAYS on the bottom of the electric companies to do list. )

Our area is also quite famous for tornadoes and flash floods as well as real genuine last a long time river floods. Then of course there are always main brakes and boil orders from time to time on the water that comes out of the river. (We are actually a burb and our water comes from an underground aquifer, while the city proper gets river water.) ... Oh and we have had our share of political un-rest and rioting in the not too distant past as well. :/

So you see there is no reason to wait for a manure fanning event, we always have those fun LOCAL disasters to plan for.

By the way how are you all set for water?

I realized that was a weak point around this "farm" awhile back and bought 4 5 gallon containers of bottled water and a pump as well as saved some more jugs of regular H2O. It is an eventual goal of mine to buy a Berkey water filter... just to have.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
So very right Wifezilla.

We have ice storms that have left us with no power for up to 10 days at a time. (We may be in the city, but our lines only serve three homes so we are ALWAYS on the bottom of the electric companies to do list. )

Our area is also quite famous for tornadoes and flash floods as well as real genuine last a long time river floods. Then of course there are always main brakes and boil orders from time to time on the water that comes out of the river. (We are actually a burb and our water comes from an underground aquifer, while the city proper gets river water.) ... Oh and we have had our share of political un-rest and rioting in the not too distant past as well. :/

So you see there is no reason to wait for a manure fanning event, we always have those fun LOCAL disasters to plan for.

By the way how are you all set for water?

I realized that was a weak point around this "farm" awhile back and bought 4 5 gallon containers of bottled water and a pump as well as saved some more jugs of regular H2O. It is an eventual goal of mine to buy a Berkey water filter... just to have.
Yes! We get the same things here as you probably know, since we are neighbors. When the local SHTF last year and we had a tornado coming our way, I realized quickly that I was ill prepared to entertain and calm the fears of 3 little ones. (The oldest weathered it like a champ after a brief freak out lol) I had a lesson real quick...being in the thick of it causes you to learn what you would do differently next time :)

But on a bigger scale...I suppose those scenario's don't afford a next time, and well, for now, I will just choose to learn what I can when I can in a step by step manner. I do what I can do.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
so much to learn!

Gosh I wish everyone lived close!

How fun would it be to have a dinner party!?
Dinner party??? I'm thinking more along the lines of a huge event that lasts 3 days, where we all come together to barter, swap, learn new skills, fellowship and EAT great food! Wouldn't that be killer? :D

Now....who is gonna donate some space and time at their place to host this? :pop

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread. Since my brother is harvesting soybeans, I'm going up to steal a couple of buckets full for storage. My only concern is that they are the "Roundup ready beans," but they would be something to eat if need be.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
okiegirl1 said:
so much to learn!

Gosh I wish everyone lived close!

How fun would it be to have a dinner party!?
Dinner party??? I'm thinking more along the lines of a huge event that lasts 3 days, where we all come together to barter, swap, learn new skills, fellowship and EAT great food! Wouldn't that be killer? :D

Now....who is gonna donate some space and time at their place to host this? :pop
SWEET!! :celebrate:weee:ya:fl

I like your thinkin'! :thumbsup

Some one with more land than us (2 1/2 acres) should do that. Room for some real campin'.

Right now we barter auto glass. We own a local auto glass replacement business. We have bartered new windshields for:
well repairs
septic repairs
electric repairs
general plumbing
appliances
one vehl got a new paint job
advertising
um... I'm sure there's lots more.

I can only cook, make soap, and such. And all ya'll do that.:idunno

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
One thing I have learned in life is there is ALWAYS something to learn and something to teach!

Even though you make soap and I make soap we each have our little time savers and special steps. There is still LOTS to learn from each other. :D

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How awsome would that be to have a 3 day SS event??

If we did it in the spring, we could camp, trade goods, and learn new skills!!

I could see us driving down the highway loaded with new windshields to barter for SS animals and supplies.:lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hit your local TSS or feed store etc. on the bulletin boards are tons of people who want to barter.

in the little sale paper Iwanna we have here, a guy is willing to trade 2 calves for a deer rifle.

others are out there, just not on the site--LOL

I love bulletin boards. I always see what is there and sometimes the offerings are great. Like "come get all the free pecans you want from the yard"---heck I grow pecans and went and got a ton more free and sold them at the farmer market. good money for me.

Latest posts