If the SHTF today......

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I'm not prepping for any catastrophes here, just living life.
While we do talk about TSHTF scenarios, there are more likely every day disasters that I do think you should prepare for.
Maybe I should clarify. I'm not prepping for the apocalypse, any zombie scenarios, etc.

Very good points, though, WZ. I guess I already am prepared for a couple just because of the way we already live: We have heat (and therefore cooking ability) through woodstove, lots of canned and dried food stocked up, animals we could butcher if needed, ready supply of eggs, etc.

Around here, natural disaster would pretty much be a tornado, and we have a concrete basement room we could hang in until it was over.

For power outages, we don't have a generator, but there is one on the farm we could use to??? I'm not sure what we would use it for, but it's available.

We had major, major flooding last year, no road access anywhere around us. We were completely fine for the days it took for the flooding to recede and the roads to be repaired. We both work at home, have plenty of food, water and heat.

I'm sure we're not prepared for EVERYthing, but enough for me to feel comfortable that we could easily weather most disasters for at least a week or 4.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I agree that the more SS you try to become, the more prepared you will be by default.

Even something as simple as working on increasing the time between your grocery shopping outings can really make a big difference. As long as I have a supply of staple foods, I know I can supplement with food from the garden, or things I have canned.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hit your local TSS or feed store etc. on the bulletin boards are tons of people who want to barter.

in the little sale paper Iwanna we have here, a guy is willing to trade 2 calves for a deer rifle.

others are out there, just not on the site--LOL

I love bulletin boards. I always see what is there and sometimes the offerings are great. Like "come get all the free pecans you want from the yard"---heck I grow pecans and went and got a ton more free and sold them at the farmer market. good money for me.
Thank you for this post!! :thumbsup

I love this site!! I learn so much here!! :weee :weee

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There is a bulletin board at the local grocer's and it has a flyer for a huge, beautiful, glossy RIR roo for sale for $5!!!! I hope he is still available....I think Toby needs some help with breeding. I don't seem many "bulls-eyes" on my eggs. :rolleyes:

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
There is a bulletin board at the local grocer's and it has a flyer for a huge, beautiful, glossy RIR roo for sale for $5!!!! I hope he is still available....I think Toby needs some help with breeding. I don't seem many "bulls-eyes" on my eggs. :rolleyes:
Just becareful Bee, RIR's tend to be fairly aggressive roosters. Just don't want the new one and the ol' boy to get into it and one of them get hurt. :)

Pics of the handsome boy if you get him! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, I think I can handle him! ;)

Toby is a big ol' boy but not real aggressive, so it will be interesting to see who becomes the alpha. I freerange, so none of my birds ever get wounded in altercations....plenty of room to run! :p

My last RIR was a real sweety! A roo named Sue! Too bad we had to eat him...... :( :D

He is a very beautiful and stocky RIR, whereas Sue was quite diminutive....I often thought he had a little bantam in him. I'd really like to get those big, meaty, egg-laying genetics into my flock. If he is aggressive and dumb, he will make a good meal! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
anyone here on this site can handle a rooster
:p

in the soup pot he goes if he gets out of line--for the greater good of course!

lee&lyric

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
but will be more concerned about those that try to come in and take what is ours"
Best believe that!

I read the SHTF threads at the several discussion groups that I belong with interest. One of the things I look for are comments similar to that above. In comparison to the amount of postings they are kinda scarce. It amuses me to read about all the stockpiling and I can't help but think, "Yeah, and those without are going to let you have your stock . . . WAKE UP!"

Latest posts