IF we get a stimulus check?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For those of you who don't live in Ca. We were told we are getting IOU's as a state tax refund. Not exactly gong to pay the bills is it.

If and I repeat if, I get a check it's going to be cashed and stashed. Maybe even buy gold with it.

FC what is a good price per pound for a 1/2 a cow. I just called our local big butcher guy in town. He said his half cows run 350 lbs at 3.69 per pound. that's all processed and vacuume sealed and out the door. Sounds kinda spendy to me. I think I would rather spend money on the fence and feed my own.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
What do you mean an IOU from the state? They are not going to give you your refund until they feel like it or what??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is 350 lbs of ACTUAL meat...at 3.69 would be $1291.50

you are a higher priced state I believe.......so this actually seems like a decent deal CONSIDERING you did no work actually and it is fresh beef vs. those feedlot beefs.

When we calculate out our beef here in NC with my processer....it comes out to about between $2.50 and $2.80 per lb give or take like that.......

If you figure you get ribeye, roasts, t-bones, tenderloin, hamburger etc. etc. etc. and all those cuts, they are usually like $4.99 and UP per lb. right.

So with no work involved, no having to buy a fence, no feeding, no sick animals, no poop, no mooing...LOL-LOL...etc. etc. it probably is not a bad deal after all...LOL

AND vacuum sealed.....that is better than what we get. We get the white butcher paper...that is it....so if it is vacuum sealed then it might be a better deal from a freezer standpoint.

all that make sense?LOL

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
What do you mean an IOU from the state? They are not going to give you your refund until they feel like it or what??
The state of Ca. is kinda bankrupt right now and the men in the big house can't decide on a budget. Gov. Schwarzenegger likes to hold things back as a threat. The last time he refused to pay state employees. This time he is saying we will not get our refunds. No money to give I guess.

FC thanks for the beef info. Maybe I'll buy half a cow with my stimulus check, if we get one. ;)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
For those of you who don't live in Ca. We were told we are getting IOU's as a state tax refund. Not exactly gong to pay the bills is it.

If and I repeat if, I get a check it's going to be cashed and stashed. Maybe even buy gold with it.

FC what is a good price per pound for a 1/2 a cow. I just called our local big butcher guy in town. He said his half cows run 350 lbs at 3.69 per pound. that's all processed and vacuume sealed and out the door. Sounds kinda spendy to me. I think I would rather spend money on the fence and feed my own.
I've considered gold as well, but the price is so high that I'm afraid it will be about equal to what the stocks are worth, (nothing) if and when we decide we need to spend it. It just doesn't make sense to buy gold anymore. At present I think we have to get away from the 'money' idea all together and stock things we can actually use for consumption when the need arises. Just a thought...but I keep hearing that old verse..."a bag of gold won't buy a loaf of bread..."

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
TanksHill said:

I've considered gold as well, but the price is so high that I'm afraid it will be about equal to what the stocks are worth, (nothing) if and when we decide we need to spend it. It just doesn't make sense to buy gold anymore. At present I think we have to get away from the 'money' idea all together and stock things we can actually use for consumption when the need arises. Just a thought...but I keep hearing that old verse..."a bag of gold won't buy a loaf of bread..."
I agree with this, Morel. I think, in the end, he who controls a food or fuel supply will be ahead. If you grow your own, breed your own animals and heat with wood you've won half the battle. All things you don't have to buy when the chips are down and the gas is rationed or the shelves are empty.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We don't heat with wood but on sunny days(even if it is only in the 50's for a high) our house heats up to the low 70's with just opening the blinds. So cooking on my gas stove also helps to heat it up & we can close off the rooms we don't need to use. Worse case scenario we move dd into share with ds for a bedrm as his is bigger & gets all day sun to warm it up. We got our pay from the Gin the other day & I want dh to get all our propane tanks filled, we have 2 that need new regulators on them & I want them put on & filled too. That way we have 4 tanks(3 big trailer ones) to use for cooking.