In a TOTAL banking meltdown..............

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Exactly, I am not looking at it as preparing for some ax to fall as getting myself as off the grid as I can, and establishing a more self-sufficient in tune with nature lifestyle. Just so happens that those things make you able to handle most anything!! :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Here's an interesting chart.

Basically what the chart is showing is the amount of money added to the GDP for each dollar of debt taken on by the US since 1966. The blue line is the actual numbers, and the red is the average. In 1966, the amount that was about added to the GDP was about 75 cents for every dollar of debt that the US took on. By the end of 2009, the number was -45 cents (a negative $.45).

This is called debt saturation, where now every dollar of debt is actually reducing our GDP, instead of adding to it. With deficits projected to continue climbing over the next 10 years, the GDP will continue to decline. We are currently near the point where we have to keep borrowing ever increasing amounts, just to pay the interest on the debt.

Hold on, it's going to be an interesting ride.

Diminishing%2BProductivity%2Bof%2BDEBT%2B(2).jpg

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And after this past weekend, I'm pretty sure we can expect the country's economy to take a very steep downward spiral.

Since this is a "self" sufficient forum, what are all your thoughts on the government us now MANDATING us to purchase something?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
And after this past weekend, I'm pretty sure we can expect the country's economy to take a very steep downward spiral.

Since this is a "self" sufficient forum, what are all your thoughts on the government us now MANDATING us to purchase something?
'
I have already decided that I will go to jail before they make me take part in commerce forced upon me, even if I think it would be a good idea to purchase. It is a matter of constitutional rights and they must be force to comply with the constituton. Not an action that people with children etc might consider but I am at the point in my life where I have little to loose. By the time all this is enacted though I might be too old for it to apply as I will likely be on medicare. They say it will be about 5 years before the health bill is fully inacted.

My husband and I talked it over intensively recently. We have decided to take a substancial portion of our savings for retirement and purchase junk silver. Already some stores in california are accepting silver as payment for groceries! You got to know that people are getting very hard up to go to this measure. They are plumb out of cash and work. There is a video on You Tube about it.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not saying I approve, I'm just remarking that very few people get up in arms about the government forcing you to buy car insurance or car seats for your kids.........

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On Our own said:
Not saying I approve, I'm just remarking that very few people get up in arms about the government forcing you to buy car insurance or car seats for your kids.........
I'm not saying I agree or disagree just saying....I know several people who don't have car insurance and in order to enforce this law you must be stopped for other reasons before being ticketed. Not so with the health insurance, everyone without will be fined.

ETA-what's up with buying silver? vs gold or other precious metals? I'm just curious why silver is so big right now-other than being much cheaper than gold/platinum?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
According to the bill, beginning in 2014, you will be required to prove on your income tax forms that you have health insurance. If you do not have it, you can be fined up to 2.5% of your annual income. This amount will be deducted from refunds due, or barring that you will have any and all federal benefits tapped. The IRS will be the enforcement arm of the health care "industry".

When and if the federal government takes over car insurance, such may be the case as well. But for now, you just pay a fine if they catch you.

Also, we will be paying for the program for four years before it is implemented.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
On Our own said:
As WZ said, you aren't forced to own a car. In the big cities, a lot of people don't own one. This is different, in that just to be a "citizen in good standing", you will have to buy insurance under the force of law. If you do not, you can be fined by the IRS. Refuse to pay the fine, and see how long you stay out of jail. It will be treated as tax evasion.