In your opinion.........

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the Amish have changed ALOT as with others. Toulle is right. Adapt or die. Simple as that...even these 'relic' that hold on must make changes.

only person is that budda priest sitting on a mountain top somewhere in the clouds, well, heck he is probably on the internet also HA HAHA

everything changes or adapts or it goes extinct. simple as that.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
OrganicKale said:
Having faith in human nature along with a an optimistic outlook does not equal denial. You can expect the worst or expect the best and typically, you will get what you expect. This has been my experience lo these many years on this planet and it is not going to change now. People have been predicting doom and gloom since I can remember. And here we are.
I agree 100%. I also don't appreciate the attitude that if we don't think the world is going to end and society is going to be wiped out that we're in denial. :rolleyes: Just because we have different outlooks on life doesn't mean we're uneducated or stupid about things. People can make "facts" say whatever they want. If you let every single thing that goes on bother you, then I can see how you might thing the world and society is so awful.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The Amish may not be as isolated as they have been in the past.However, you don't see them wth TV's, cell phones, gas powered auto's, computers,etc.The Amish as a people are thriving and expanding, and run large successful buisnesses.The only oil base product they us is lube for their horse drawn farm implements.In the mist of an unraveling nation around them, they are clear example of a smart and thriving people, while not destroying the earth around them.We non Amish can learn an awful lot from them, personally i admire the smart example they set for us.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
The Amish may not be as isolated as they have been in the past.However, you don't see them wth TV's, cell phones, gas powered auto's, computers,etc.The Amish as a people are thriving and expanding, and run large successful buisnesses.The only oil base product they us is lube for their horse drawn farm implements.In the mist of an unraveling nation around them, they are clear example of a smart and thriving people, while not destroying the earth around them.We non Amish can learn an awful lot from them, personally i admire the smart example they set for us.
I generally agree, the point is that they are adapting. I doubt they will ever go mainstream, but there certainly have been changes.

I also agree we can learn a lot from the Amish and Menonites. I like their honest, simple and straightforward approach to things. Substance over style. If I could have a life similar to theirs, only getting to pick and choose certain technologies from the modern world such as my cel phone, laptop, and refrigerator, I would.

I can, however, do without the massive religious content as well.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to point to certain things going on in their world such as stores going out of business, factories closing, high unemployment and failing infrastructure. I also notice most of these people are from the Midwest or maybe the upper Atlantic States.

Well, welcome to the South!

These things have been the reality in the South for my entire life. We have lived with it. We adapt and survive. As someone once said: the Great Depression began in New York in 1928, and began in Alabama in 1865.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is just it...most of these 'special groups' are tied to a religion or 'very specific views' on life. either agree or leave the group. most of the common folks sure wouldn't 'join' the Amish lol

sure they have great points obviously, but most don't 'want to be them' actually

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't know much about the Amish religion, perhaps that is what makes them so successful..? I don't know...

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
that is just it...most of these 'special groups' are tied to a religion or 'very specific views' on life. either agree or leave the group. most of the common folks sure wouldn't 'join' the Amish lol

sure they have great points obviously, but most don't 'want to be them' actually
I'm okay with that. It's their group. I wouldn't dream of demanding entry into the Amish community and then demanding they make changes to suit me. (I know nobody said I was)

I agree, I like a lot of their lifestyle, but some of their lifestyle just wouldn't suit me. I'll start my own group - Irreligious Amish.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
Don't know much about the Amish religion, perhaps that is what makes them so successful..? I don't know...
What I would say is that it is a common thread that binds them and makes them a strong community.

Just like FarmerChick said: these groups have some common belief that binds them together. It is part of their survival strategy (to borrow another term from Evolutionary Ecology)

As to the specific tenets of their religion, I don't know much either but doubt it is specifically what makes them successful. Beyond that it is probably best left out of this discussion.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
How do you know, most wouldn't want to be Amish FarmeChick...? I'll bet you'd be surprised how many common folks would trade all the stress and expense of the typical American lifestyle for a simple Amish life.
Is that not possible..? I don't watch TV and sure don't miss it, nor own a cell phone.However as you can see i do have internet access and i have a landline phone.I guess i'm half way to being Amish....lol I would sure love to jump on one of horse horse drawn farm implements and give it a go...! Can you imagime how quiet it is, and breathing in clean fresh air as you go...? My rototiller is so loud and stinky, my honeybees even get mad at me for using it and sting me once in awhile...! I'd love to live on an Amish farm for a month or so, just to get a good idea of the way they really are. Maybe your right Toule, about the regilion thing, haven't experienced Amish religion, but everyone believes in something, right..?