In your opinion.........

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL well I would think most would WANT alot of what the Amish project...clean air and living and YOU can get that.

just give up the tiller and hoe by hand. no one is making you run the tiller LOL

I think people see life as 'being mandatory' and makes it seem like life means you must own a rototiller...in reality, you choose to own and run one.

you don't have to be Amish to enjoy their ways. Just put a few into practice...give up the rototiller ;) and you have cleaner air while you are hoeing the garden and the bees will be a'smilin'

you don't need to go anywhere to make changes on your own personal land.

Alot of excuses of "I would love to be X", then I "could" and "life would be"......

but people who truly want some change just do it.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
How do you know, most wouldn't want to be Amish FarmeChick...? I'll bet you'd be surprised how many common folks would trade all the stress and expense of the typical American lifestyle for a simple Amish life.
Is that not possible..? I don't watch TV and sure don't miss it, nor own a cell phone.However as you can see i do have internet access and i have a landline phone.I guess i'm half way to being Amish....lol I would sure love to jump on one of horse horse drawn farm implements and give it a go...! Can you imagime how quiet it is, and breathing in clean fresh air as you go...? My rototiller is so loud and stinky, my honeybees even get mad at me for using it and sting me once in awhile...! I'd love to live on an Amish farm for a month or so, just to get a good idea of the way they really are. Maybe your right Toule, about the regilion thing, haven't experienced Amish religion, but everyone believes in something, right..?
I mean this in a very nice way, but....
Dude, you aren't "most people"

The very fact that you have a rototiller, let alone the bee thing, makes you not "most people". The average American's experiences with any sort of Agriculture at all is limited to "Farmville". I can assure you they wouldn't dream of growing anyrthing more than a potted plant or doing any manual labor so long as there is a machine around that can do it for them. In the absence of said machine, they will still only do the work if someone MAKES them do it.

Besides the tools, I think FC was referring to the religious thing, too.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
you don't have to be Amish to enjoy their ways. Just put a few into practice...give up the rototiller ;) and you have cleaner air while you are hoeing the garden and the bees will be a'smilin'

you don't need to go anywhere to make changes on your own personal land.
or you could....

http://store.hosstools.com/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I understand the point of some of the recent comments. I have not read any post in this thread that advocates isolating themselves from the world, nor anyone saying that society is going to devolve into anarchy or some type of post apocalyptic Mad Max scenario. If you want to look at the world through rose colored glasses (Yes, I said it!), or you don't don't draw the same conclusions from the facts that others do, so be it. I don't believe that anyone thinks any less of you for it. All we (us gloom and doom'ers) are saying is that if you follow the parallels of history, we may be in for some hard times.

In 1930 I bet that there were a lot of folks that wish that, back in 1928, they had looked at the world and decided to make some preparations in the case of hard times. If you feel that good times are right around the corner, then that's great. Talk about Darwin and not wanting to adapt to change? That is the whole point of the discussion, interpreting the signs and and planning accordingly. It seems to me that this is the very essence of adapting to a changing world.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks Mark, I didn't see where this thread was going but I agree with you.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yep, thats pretty much true FC.However,my garden is way to big to hoe by hand, plus i'm no spring chicken...lol( and i ain't ready to down size my growing stuff yet). So the horse drawn ways of the Amish are very appealing to me, as opposed to the typical fuel and chem. fertilizer dependant American farmers. Whats so cool, is the Amish go full circle, they grow the fuel the work horses need.My point is, we Americans and the goverment machine we elected put us where we are today, hence the topic of this thread...In Your Opinion..trouble is FC and Toule,to many Americans in general don't want to get their hands dirty, and prefer pushing a pencil and numbers instead.To many chiefs, not enough worker indians..lol Not even a modified version of and Amish type lifestyle with some modern things, minus the religion is appealing.America got lazy and complacent, to many freebies and hands out for non-American invaders.It's all come home to roost, and its almost time to pay the nasty price due..IMO

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I'm not sure that I understand the point of some of the recent comments. I have not read any post in this thread that advocates isolating themselves from the world, nor anyone saying that society is going to devolve into anarchy or some type of post apocalyptic Mad Max scenario. If you want to look at the world through rose colored glasses (Yes, I said it!), or you don't don't draw the same conclusions from the facts that others do, so be it. I don't believe that anyone thinks any less of you for it. All we (us gloom and doom'ers) are saying is that if you follow the parallels of history, we may be in for some hard times.

In 1930 I bet that there were a lot of folks that wish that, back in 1928, they had looked at the world and decided to make some preparations in the case of hard times. If you feel that good times are right around the corner, then that's great. Talk about Darwin and not wanting to adapt to change? That is the whole point of the discussion, interpreting the signs and and planning accordingly. It seems to me that this is the very essence of adapting to a changing world.
Yeah?

And my very point was that times are changing, as they always do, and we are all going to have to adapt to them or find some very remote corner of the world to hide in.

My Grandparents told me about the Great Depression in the South. They told me they barely noticed. Grandaddy did say that shotgun shells got too expensive so he had to use a muzzleloader.