Interesting Japanese Observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Very interesting thread!

All I know, is my heart goes out to those people. Here in my state people live right along the coast and an earthquake/ tsunami potential exists just the same, so it could happen in my back door. I hope that my fellow Washingtonians would be as respectful as it appears the Japanese are being, but after my experience living in Los Angeles during the riots, I tend to doubt it.

Makes me REAL happy to be up here on my mountain at the end of a dead end road where no one tends to ever go except us, and that I know my family could exist with what we have here, goat milk, cheese, rabbit meat, duck meat and eggs, veggies, wood to heat my home, and our own water.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I don't think it says much about our "culture" at all. I think it says much much more about our justice system, and our media, but not our culture. I'm not sure that I know a lot of folks who would steal during a crisis situation. I don't hang out with those people. I know a lot of folks who would go door to door checking on elderly neighbors, a lot who would voluntarily be digging through rubble to help rescue those who were missing, and a great deal more who would open up shelters for displaced people and feed them. Yes, a small percentage of the population would turn to theivery and mischeif, but they do NOT represent MY culture at all. Just sayin ;) I love America!

I think of MY culture as those who sacrifice to give to others(our soldiers, teachers, pastors, policemen, etc. etc.), those who make charitable donations all over the world and home as well out of their own pockets. America is good. Media would have a different picture painted of us :/ Generally speaking, the good stories aren't blood and guts enough to get much attention these days :smack

So, in short, I think things would be rough, but not inpossible for us to rise to the occassion, God forbid such occassion ever be faced again. I say AGAIN, because...9-11 was almost as large of a loss in human life, and look how we reacted to that. Katrina, again, MOST people were actually helpful but less of them got media coverage than the gun toting idiot thugs that were left behind to loot and wreak havoc.

Personally I think this says a lot about the Japanese media ;)
Agreed!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
first time I saw a closed thread still active :lol: :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
first time I saw a closed thread still active :lol: :lol:
I was thinking the same thing!

Icu4dzs, :bow

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
redhen said:
Wannabefree said:
I don't think it says much about our "culture" at all. I think it says much much more about our justice system, and our media, but not our culture. I'm not sure that I know a lot of folks who would steal during a crisis situation. I don't hang out with those people. I know a lot of folks who would go door to door checking on elderly neighbors, a lot who would voluntarily be digging through rubble to help rescue those who were missing, and a great deal more who would open up shelters for displaced people and feed them. Yes, a small percentage of the population would turn to theivery and mischeif, but they do NOT represent MY culture at all. Just sayin ;) I love America!

I think of MY culture as those who sacrifice to give to others(our soldiers, teachers, pastors, policemen, etc. etc.), those who make charitable donations all over the world and home as well out of their own pockets. America is good. Media would have a different picture painted of us :/ Generally speaking, the good stories aren't blood and guts enough to get much attention these days :smack

So, in short, I think things would be rough, but not inpossible for us to rise to the occassion, God forbid such occassion ever be faced again. I say AGAIN, because...9-11 was almost as large of a loss in human life, and look how we reacted to that. Katrina, again, MOST people were actually helpful but less of them got media coverage than the gun toting idiot thugs that were left behind to loot and wreak havoc.

Personally I think this says a lot about the Japanese media ;)
Agreed!
Lot of good points. The media is always focused on the bad stuff. I think it's because stories about people helping other people tend to be saved or days when there is no violence to report on. However the media is in business to make money so they will spin stories and show stories that bring in the most viewers. So what does that say about people? Of course I think that applies everywhere.

It's not the Japanese media you ave to credit. It's the Japanese government. If it is happening and the media sees it but is not allowed to show it then you have censure. That of course is something we don't have here and it's a good thing. You gotta take the good with the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.