Irene's Thread

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
And two more are following right behind Irene, aren't there? The second one coming is supposed to be a bad one. Hope everyone has already restocked!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Checking in from library! Haven't read the thread yet. Hope everyone is okay with minimal damage. We had one tree come down but it went into the neighbor's yard taking out his deck rail and part of a gutter. Could have been a lot worse! Power went out Sunday morning at 5:52 am. Some friends got it back yesterday but they are closer to the main roads. We have a lot of trees down on wires all over town. There is a lot of work to be done and we are not a priority area. I did see that the tree on the wires in front of the mayor's house have been cleared. There have been a number of accidents because of traffic lights that are out. Our Internet is cable and that may not be fixed as fast as the power anyway. So who knows when we'll be back to normal!!
Off to check weather.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Storm clean up continues around here. I picked something up for a friend in another town. I have a truck, she doesn't. But, getting where I needed to go after picking it up was a nightmare! I asked about roads, and was told the one was opened. It was-in one direction. So, after sitting in stop and go traffic for several minutes, I guessed on which way to go. Came to another light. It wasn't as bad. That's when I realized I knew where I was, so I turned. But I knew I couldn't go the shortest way from there since there were bridges taken out 2 weeks ago. I HOPE we don't get hit w/another storm.

S

sunsaver

Just checking in to see how my east coast friends are doing. I'm so glad i have my solar panels. I hate the thought being with out lights and tv. :/

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Just checking in. I have been mostly on FB, checking on my family and friends in upstate NY. My hometown of Middleburgh NY has had the worst flood ever. Many of my friends have lost their homes, farms and/or businesses. The old covered bridge has been swept away.
I am just in shock, when I see the pictures that have been posted.
Several of my friends across the country have sort of formed a chain, keeping those able to communicate informed. The power has been out and many places do not have cell phone access. I have not been able to get through to my parents, who still live in Schoharie county. They live on top of a mountain though. My sister was able to speak with them on sunday and they are ok.
So many structures including historical sites have been affected by this storm. It makes me very sad. This part of the country is an important part of the history of the U.S.
The farm where my parents buy there produce is under water. As are many of the other farms in Schoharie valley. This will have a big affect on not just the local community, but all of NY. So much of their produce is grown there. Many farm animals were lost also. The flooding happened so quickly, the people didn't have time to react!

I am glad to hear that my friends on this forum are pretty much ok.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I follow a blogger with cattle in Vermont. Her animals did fine, but she posted youtube links to video of old covered bridges being washed away or crumbling under furious flooding rivers. It broke my heart - I have always wanted to go on a "covered bridge tour" of the Northeast. What a lesson to not procrastinate, so many treasures lost (mourning the lives lost is a given).

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Still without power, we have a generator running our sump, pumping the water out of our basement, it's been running every 15 minutes since around 4 am on Sunday. The freezer & refrigerator are also powered. No significant damage, some trees and branches, a couple sections of fence. We had water in garbage cans for flushing and washing but that ran out this morning. Plenty of food and drinking water still. It's been inconvenient, but we are fine, although I could really go for a hot shower and my kids smell like yogurt.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you want a hot shower, you can get one. This is what I do when I go camping w/the horses, or get a shower at my tack shed.

1. Fill up a solar shower bag w/water, and let it sit.

2. Pour the hot water in a bucket. If needed, add cold to make it the right temp.

3. Use one of these to take your shower. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Zodi...s&Ntt=shower&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

It works quite well, and is much easier to use than the solar shower, but the solar shower is great for heating up the water.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good for future reference, but acquiring a solar shower bag and the water to fill it may be more trouble than packing a bag and visiting someone with power, lol.

Now i know for the next storm we need more wash water or we need a generator that can run our well pump and one to run our sump pump. Unfortunately we have oil residue in the basement making the water that we are pumping out of there unusable.