Irene's Thread

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Hen checked in with me. Power is still out but a nearby town is already back up, so she might not be out of power as long as feared :)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We lost power last night around 1am... and it finally came back on about an hour ago. We had a lovely (although windy) quiet day at home. Trees came down across our road, along with the power lines... so for most of the day we were trapped here. :) Hubby didn't have to work since power was out for most of the province and the potash mine he works in was shut down.

It was way better than they were expecting for us.

I'm glad everyone made it through the storm without too much damage.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
We lost power last night around 1am... and it finally came back on about an hour ago. We had a lovely (although windy) quiet day at home. Trees came down across our road, along with the power lines... so for most of the day we were trapped here. :) Hubby didn't have to work since power was out for most of the province and the potash mine he works in was shut down.

It was way better than they were expecting for us.

Glad to hear you are safe and sound.

I'm glad everyone made it through the storm without too much damage.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Farmfresh said:
Has anyone on here lost power due to that nuclear power plant that was shut down?
I live not to far from that plant and no, we didn't lose power. I don't know of anyone that did.
OK so explain to me how they "powered down" the nuclear plant and the power stayed on? :hu

pepper

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
gettinaclue said:
Farmfresh said:
Has anyone on here lost power due to that nuclear power plant that was shut down?
I live not to far from that plant and no, we didn't lose power. I don't know of anyone that did.
OK so explain to me how they "powered down" the nuclear plant and the power stayed on? :hu
No electric company is an island. :D Most, if not all, electric companies have multiple generating facilities in addition to "buying" power from other suppliers. Everyone feeds the grid.
Way back before dinosaurs were created I lived in NH and had service from PSNH. PSNH bought power from Hydro Quebec in addition to their own Nuclear PP, Hydro dams, etc ...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
My step dad works for a power company :)

They share out the power needs to other facilities. When we blew a transformer (it was awesome. I mean EXPLODED!), they just transferred the power needs around and shut down areas for periods while they fixed it.

So your power comes from perhaps 3-4 facilities. The overlap keeps there from being rolling blackouts. There are constant tiny things going down that they have to shift to someone else to fix.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
power was returned to us this morning, 2-3 days before projected time frame (thank goodness)

the things i was most worried about (fridge/freezer) fared well on MY little 5000 genny,
my fish, the other thing i was worried about since they whent without filtration and the tank (30 gals) is overstocked...all fared well, eveyrones alive, healthy and ate like piggies this morning (i didnt feed them since sunday morning as food = more waste and fish can go a few days without food with no issues) water paramters tested fine this morning so YAY for safe fishes!

dads still not at work, his company is in an area where power is still out and being their work is centered around computers and the web...kinda cant actually work when theres no power in a place like that lol.
alot of CT is still without power, its gonna take a while to get everything sorted and for many of the flooded rivers to receede.