Irene's Thread

Martyg

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in North Raleigh, in the darn "city" so I don't have farm animals to be concerned with, or loss of water. I do have two older inside cats, and a 9-month old Dobie I'm training as my service dog. It will be interesting to see who gets wetter when it's time to get her outside to go potty during this storm. Last shower I was as wet as she was.

I have the dishes washed, bed changed (and sprayed with lavender), and the laundry done. My freezers are full enough to withstand a few days power outage if the doors are kept closed. I even washed my hair - and showered so I'm all nice and clean.

I tied the porch swing to the rail to prevent it from beating against the vinyl siding, laid the porch rockers on their side, on the deck, and put the 3 lighter patio chairs and umbrella on their sides behind the heavier wood rockers. The wind blows towards that wall, so they usually just get "penned" up against that wall if they move at all. I didn't get the umbrella down one year and it flew to the top of the roof and ONE rib punctured the ridge of my roof, and I had to get several shingles replaced.

I brought in the smaller containers of flowers, the door mats, and door wreath. The potted veggies have to fend for themselves. I didn't want to pick them because I don't think we'll get hit that hard, and they are still bearing some.

I also have eggs boiled - for breakfast, or to make egg salad - or deviled eggs. I have roast beef cooked for a meal or sandwiches, and made some pimento cheese - and of course sweet tea.

I'm disabled and can't carry a heavy propane tank, and didn't get my old grill hooked up to the small propane gas tank I have (about 100 lb) . I'm not allowed to have a large one because I only use it for gas logs. It only lasts 4-5 days in an ice storm heating the front part of the house. So, I wouldn't want to use that tank for a grill also in an ice storm - hurricane, yes. I do have a picnic size grill, and a one pound gas cylinder, and another gas stove burner so I can cook. With a "real" grill I can do biscuits, cornbread - a full meal, tea, coffee. Haven't had to try this small grill yet so I'm not sure how much I can do with it.

Being thrifty I stay stocked and ready for anything. I no longer buy water because I've been here 10 years and even with power out for a week, no loss of water.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am in NJ, 20 miles inland, we are anticipating flooding, high winds and power outages, basically everything.

We have a small generator to power the fridge/freezer/sump pump as necessary. We have 20 gallons of drinking water bottled up. The tub will get filled tomorrow, for flushing and washing. We did pick up batteries, flashlights, bread and diapers. We have plenty of food stocked up. The chicken coop got new hardware cloth over the windows, furniture and kids toys are secured, we put a couple sheets of plywood in the house, just in case. We are going to run a check on the property in the morning and see if anything else needs to be tied or taken in. We have family in the voluntary evacuation zone, we invited them to join us, but they are planing on staying home :/ I'm figuring when all their neighbors leave they will follow suit.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Put trash cans under your gutters. Catch the water for toilet flushing. We strain it thru an old screen window next to our trash can. we're planning for a few days of no power here. Freezers will be fine. refrig in question. Gas stove for cooking. candles. Solor panel for lights with batter back up with trickle charge. Gas all topped off. Food falling out the pantry door. Board games, cards, books and crafts ready to go. Magazines loaded :) Just in case. Night vision tuned up. Own the night baby. Never leave home with out it. Animals all ready for secure locations. Chain saws cleaned ,gassed up and tunes up. Local network is ready . Picked up extra plywood just in case. We plan on getting hit head on with this storm. All I can say now is bring it on. Can't be any worse than a night patrol in a free fire zone. O YEAH!!!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Free, we used to lose power when I lived in Middletown and we were on city water. We never lost water that I can remember, unless the pipes froze or something like that.
We've already been called by CT Light and Power (recorded call) that we can expect to be without power for several days. WE've had emails from both our home owners and car insurace companies with contact information should we need it after the storm. I will have to remember to write it down tomorrow so I'm not kicking myself that it's inaccessible on my computer...
We are on the east side of the projected path meaning we should expect the winds more than the rain.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think we will be fine if we store enough for the critters and us for Sunday and Mon early morning. Drinking water for us for a bit longer. I can get water from the lake....actually, I'll probably bring my shampoo to the boat launch and take a quick dip if needed. :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One thing I saw a bit earlier on the weather channel. There was a tornado reported in NC. I did not realize a hurricane could cause a tornado. :idunno

Be safe.

G

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just hope the gods, and good spirits of the nature are to those who are kind to the earth, since all people on that forum, are living a good, SS life. We sure are decent to the earth, so may the Svetovid, or any other god have you in his grace.