Irene's Thread

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They issued another warning. So far, I have seen and heard nothing.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The news just showed the gas station that is just a few houses from us and they are rationing gas. Glad we filled up earlier today. Quiet here now. I should go to bed, who knows how much sleep I'll get.....I'm sleeping in my clothes, though, so I'm not in the cellar in my pjs.

Nervous....

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The news just showed the gas station that is just a few houses from us and they are rationing gas. Glad we filled up earlier today. Quiet here now. I should go to bed, who knows how much sleep I'll get.....I'm sleeping in my clothes, though, so I'm not in the cellar in my pjs.

Nervous....
Good idea. I will do the same, I think.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Still have power, it's been on & off all day (even before it started raining) We are in a tornado warning so we are all (me, DH, 2 kids & 2 dogs) settled on a mattress on the dining room floor next to the basement access. I have a basement bag by the door with shoes, leashes, cell phone among other things to grab just in case. Wind & rain & flooding in the fields and even some rain in our kitchen :/

Staying inside, in the room with no windows, next to the basement access, with some sweet tea and potato chips. Going to attempt to get some sleep.

S

sunsaver

AL said:
East River, NY
http://yfrog.com/kju1bawj

Saw 2 different reports on deaths - one said 5 the other said 7. Both said 2 children - one from a tree and one from car crash at an intersection (folks, remember if traffic lights are out treat it like a 4-way stop and treat other drivers like they don't know this rule)
Why are these idiots out driving around. What part of "hunker down" don't they understand? It's too late to evacuate. Go inside!

'

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Had to spend a half hour or so in the basement due to a tornado warning in our area. Nothing happened, thank goodness. Amazingly we still have power (knock on wood!) but lots around us don't. Basement started flooding again due to the *!$)@(#*!@ sump pump float getting stuck AGAIN! :he Thank goodness I caught it early and just finished shop vac-ing the water up as best I could. Going to go upstairs and get more sleep. I think we're more than halfway done w/ the storm...hopefully.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Just a few reminders from the always flooding tornado rich mid-west.

Stay OUT of wet basements! Many people get electrocuted in water in the basement when the power suddenly comes back on.

Stay in now, but even later in the week NEVER walk or drive through flood waters - even if they seem shallow.

Your city may not lose water coming out of the faucets, but I would be boiling it! Flooding can cause water issues at the source, by causing turbulence in rivers and streams or contaminates in ground water sources. Remember city boil notices are usually issued too late. Don't wash self or dishes with city source water either.

Tornadoes cause a vacuum. If you hear gurgling sounds coming from your drains, get to safety fast!! Tornadoes will pull water out of your pipe traps, suck inside air outside violently and sound like a freight train. A few years back my D1 opened a window and all her hair was sucked out of the window!! That is how she knew it was coming her way. The violent winds can take a small object and throw it amazingly hard and fast. There are reports of a piece of straw being shoved through a brick!!

Stay safe out there!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just heard Maryland isn't taking 911 calls.

And, a nuclear power plant shut down (safely) due to power issues.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And tornado warnings in New York City! Weird!

Hope everyone here is safe!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
4:48 a.m. and it just started raining steady. Light rain here and there all night from a rain front but now we are getting the start of the storm. 5 a.m and I'm up... WHAT THE HECK!!! I'm usually still sleeping til 8. ARGH!!!... WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!! Think I'll cook some breakfast. :clap YEAH FOR ME!!!