Irresponsible People

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
This was a head turning, eye popping moment for me this week.

Some folks I know were going to file chapter 13 last year after their house was foreclosed on. After paying attorneys and filing they were told they could not file. All the bills they had been told not to pay were now way behind. Apparently they caught everything up except for one bill that was in the husbands name alone. Since no one called to collect they treated it like it had disappeared. A few weeks ago he started getting calls that he ignored. This week he was served with garnishment papers.

Due to interest and court cost the debt has over doubled.

NOW - they are both jumping through hoops to get it paid. Running around like crazy trying to gather up the money. Both of them are screaming and cussing the company that sued and garnished.

I am standing their listening to this thinking, well DUH HUH - you actually thought you would not have to pay for this.

In the last 6 months they have purchased a very expensive TV, remodeled a room in their home, taken two expensive trips, eat out at least 2 times a week every week, gone black Friday Christmas shopping.....just to mention a few things. Oh and last but not least cussed the bank that closed their checking account for being overdrawn for over 30 days. YES- They are very mad at that bank.

The mentality totally floored me. These are not dumb people. Their combined income is above $72,000.00 per year.

Do any of you know people who think like this? Is this a normal attitude? Am I the one who is off base on thinking that this is strange?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes. No. And, no, I think this is strange also~ but all too common behavior now days.

I am constantly amazed at folks who feel entitled to more than they earn. :rolleyes:

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A whole lot of people think that because something hasn't happened, that it can't happen. Or that maybe it will go away.

I bring up again one of my favorite stories about the French King and the Thief- There was a thief convicted of many crimes and sentenced to death. He sent a message asking the king to save him and he would teach the King's favorite horse to talk.
The King was intrigued- he told the thief that he would give him a year to teach the horse to speak.
As the thief was taken back to jail, his jailer told hhim that he was only posponing the inevitable.
The thief responded that it could be in the coming year, the horse might die. Or he himself could die- the King might die. Or the horse might learn to talk.
:D

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know a couple that is doing the same thing basically. They both work and are by no means making a killing or anything,..but they don't and won't pay their bills. I talked to her the other day and she was telling me about going out shopping on Black friday and all the money she spent on the family for Christmas, and she wasn't talking no small amount of spending. Though all in the same breath she is cussing, ranting, and raving because her boyfriend is being sued over a doctor bill he didn't pay. It was a small bill that now has escalated to a huge bill. Her excuse about not paying it was she kept forgetting because she was sooooo busy. :idunno I reckon? Too busy spending money I guess. :smack It annoys me that people have the gall to complain about being sued! If you payed your bills and paid attention to what is going on, it wouldn't happen! Her boyfriend says he is going to tell the judge his girlfriend was supposed to pay it and she didn't,...thinking that will help him out,.:gig What a moron. :barnie

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I owe quite a bit (student loans) and cant work in that field without spending more $ that I still don't have. :he but I cut up the credit card years ago and refuse to get any more.
I don't have a car, might eat out once a month and live very cheap. I tried to go to credit counseling and they would not accept me because I "didn't owe enough". They don't count student loans and I didn't run up Visa enough by their standards.
People that are trying to run up the charges, so they can get lots of freebies when they go bankrupt are committing fraud. They are probably going to go bankruppt more than 1 time also because they aren't learning how to get by on only what they really have.
If I cant get something with cash, it will wait or I will make do without it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think sometimes people's brains go on overload.

Filing for bankruptcy to fix this problem they have, then find out they can't, trying to do the responsible thing with a lawyer.....then in their minds problems were solved, now they aren't.....mind blown. Too much to handle so they "wish it away and forget it" hoping never to see it again,,,,then the ugly truth rears up and bites you in the ass and you freak and complain.

not financial troubles, but I have treated some of my problems like that...only to find pretending it all didn't happen doesn't work..LOL

People can only take so much sometimes. Everyone has their limits about how hard life has to get before they check out of reality...:p
But reality usually comes back hard at ya!!

Reaction score
When you file a BK your debts are locked from that day forward. If you go spend on your credit cards after filing it is fraud and is very easy to discover. You will face criminal charges. Most people filing a BK have maxed out cards and couldn't charge more if they wanted to. Sometimes people decide they are going to file BK and they max out everything just for that purpose. Once again that is fraud but is harder to prove. Sounds like your friends got what they deserved.

The majority of BK's are caused by circumstances beyond the control of the person claiming them. There are a lot of reasons besides having too many credit cards. Business failures and medical fees are two of the most common.

I consider myself to be normal. I have debt, but I am paying it. I do exceed my means on occasion. Beat me with a wet noodle. No I don't look down on or feel I am better than somebody that spends more than they should. I do look down on people that refuse to pay their bills when they are able. I am trying to be more frugal.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately, think about what these adults are teaching their children. I know so many people in the suburbs that have to "keep up with the Jones" and their kids each have their own expensive cell phone and computers/TV's in their rooms. Not to mention the whole theater system they have in their family rooms along with the expensive cars. Not to mention the theme birthday parties to top the last one their child attended. Their kids get anything they want right away. They are still shopping at the malls on a regular basis. What are these kids going to do in the future when they are living on their own?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"Remember this... everyone on this forum is abnormal. We want to live closer to earth, self sufficient, within our means."

Isn't this the truth. Well put!!!