Irresponsible People

Reaction score
On Our own said:
According the the federal bankruptcy court 120,000 families file for bankruptcy EVERY month! Over 50% of them are due to medical bills and of those 3/4's of the families HAD medical insurance.

Yes, there are very irresponsible people out there who are defrauding people and businesses alike. Trust me I was defrauded by one so I am extremely cynical over other people's bankruptcies, but these are the statistics.
I bet if you look further they had real crappy medical insurance, Something with a 10k deductible and then a 100k limit. The max I have to pay out per person is 1500 max per person up to 3 people. I wouldn't pay 2200 to a BK atty for 1500.00 in medical bills. If you don't have coverage through your employer and have to buy it yourself then crappy coverage is all that most of us can afford.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No, I will not pray that people keep spending money they don't have. That's a proven recipe for disaster, if you can't see that you really aren't living in the real world. It is utterly irresponsible to encourage people to spend money they don't have, there is no other way to look at it. It isn't an 1800's mentality, it's reality.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
On Our own said:
According the the federal bankruptcy court 120,000 families file for bankruptcy EVERY month! Over 50% of them are due to medical bills and of those 3/4's of the families HAD medical insurance.

Yes, there are very irresponsible people out there who are defrauding people and businesses alike. Trust me I was defrauded by one so I am extremely cynical over other people's bankruptcies, but these are the statistics.
I bet if you look further they had real crappy medical insurance, Something with a 10k deductible and then a 100k limit. The max I have to pay out per person is 1500 max per person up to 3 people. I wouldn't pay 2200 to a BK atty for 1500.00 in medical bills. If you don't have coverage through your employer and have to buy it yourself then crappy coverage is all that most of us can afford.
I have been looking at cheaper plans, the fine print states coverage in event of an accident, but not illness. Very deceptive offers coming in the mail lately.

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
No, I will not pray that people keep spending money they don't have. That's a proven recipe for disaster, if you can't see that you really aren't living in the real world. It is utterly irresponsible to encourage people to spend money they don't have, there is no other way to look at it. It isn't an 1800's mentality, it's reality.
If the economy collapses then you'll be standing in line for your bowl of rice served by a communist That's reality. There's plenty of people out there that still have jobs and still have money. There's nothing wrong with spending money if you have it. The economy will never get stronger with that mentality. It is irresponsible and immoral to wish that our country will fail.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Actually most medical policies say things like- we pay 80% of a scheduled amount for this procedure. Which means that they may pay a percentage but if your medical provider charges more than the scheduled amount, you owe. Even catastrophic coverage, where they say they pay for all costs over a certian amount means their scheduled amount, not what it costs.
Then there are the costs that don't get covered at all like travel, custodial care, experimental procedures, drugs over a certain amount, etc.
And you can't really get input into these costs- just try asking a hospital or doctor for a "good faith estimate."
Can you imagine having to decide not to try a possibly life-saving procedure in order as it's too expensive?
And all this happens at a time of crisis. And if one member of the family loses income due to health and the other is trying to work and take care of kids, etc, there are even more expenses.
But I also agree that people do not do a very good job of expecting and dealing with problems. In otherwords, not preparing to have large bills and immedicately cutting down on other expenses.
A serious illness is a serious expense in many cases.
One of the reasons to save up for that rainy day.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
reinbeau said:
If the economy collapses then you'll be standing in line for your bowl of rice served by a communist That's reality. There's plenty of people out there that still have jobs and still have money. There's nothing wrong with spending money if you have it. The economy will never get stronger with that mentality. It is irresponsible and immoral to wish that our country will fail.
Big Daddy- you're kidding, right? Immoral ? Can't really mean that.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
reinbeau said:
Obviously you are refusing to read what I'm posting. I am talking about people who are spending money they don't have. I in no way said I wished our country would fail. Please do not put words into my mouth, or into my posts - talk about irresponsible :rolleyes:.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think both posts were off....LOL

BD meant we must spend...those who have and we must hope those who have can continue to keep this country functioning. And those that do get some cash in their pockets must spend also. We obviously can not totally stop spending.

And Reinbeau is saying it is not smart to spend what you don't have.
Very true of course. If you don't have it, don't go into credit debt if you just "want to buy". That is very irresponsible cause when ya default later, we all have to take up the slack for those that can't pay.

Reaction score
The credit card companies are making sure you don't spend too much. Unless you have a high credit score as in above 750 or so they are jacking rates way up. Anybody that carries a balance at 26% interest has some screws loose. It's pretty much a no brainer that you shouldn't be running credit cards up or over extending yourself in this economy. I'm just saying that if everyone saves and stops spending the economy will come to a screeching halt. Nobody will have a job except for people in industries that are a must have. The government won't have any more tax base and China will come collecting. That's why you will be in a rice line instead of a bread line. When they own the country we will be eating what they like. Give it some thought.