Irresponsible People

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
The credit card companies are making sure you don't spend too much. Unless you have a high credit score as in above 750 or so they are jacking rates way up. Anybody that carries a balance at 26% interest has some screws loose. It's pretty much a no brainer that you shouldn't be running credit cards up or over extending yourself in this economy. I'm just saying that if everyone saves and stops spending the economy will come to a screeching halt. Nobody will have a job except for people in industries that are a must have. The government won't have any more tax base and China will come collecting. That's why you will be in a rice line instead of a bread line. When they own the country we will be eating what they like. Give it some thought.
The credit card companies are making sure I don't spend too much? Are you kidding? I don't use credit cards! I don't want them making sure I don't spend too much - because they won't do that, they make too much money when you do go over your limit! I hope that really isn't how you run your finances.....

Obviously many of us have given it some thought - please don't be so condescending as to say we haven't. Some of us believe self-sufficiency means just that, not living on credit so we can spend, spend, spend and buoy up the economy. An economy built like that will ultimately fail - hey, isn't that funny, that's exactly what has happened!

I believe you should save, you should have the money to spend before you spend it.

Reaction score
Nobody is attacking you Reinbeau. Why do you feel the need to attack me? Are you still a moderator?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Nobody is attacking you Reinbeau. Why do you feel the need to attack me? Are you still a moderator?
I don't moderate threads I participate in, BD, and if you really read what you wrote in response to my posts you'd see why I was responding as I am. You are the one who is quoting me and saying things like 'The credit card companies are making sure you don't spend too much.' or 'It is irresponsible and immoral to wish that our country will fail.' when I said no such thing. Don't want personal responses? Don't make it personal. Or are you now taking logical debate personally?

Reaction score
Sorry Reinbeau you're not understanding, so I'll just drop it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh, geez. I've already listened to my kids bickering all day...:rolleyes:

So, we probably all agree: America depends on consumerism for its economy.

Many Americans spend money they don't have, and this is a bad thing for them, sometimes leading to bankrupcy.

For Americans who DO still have money, we are glad they are still spending it because we and other Americans depend on them spending money they have to keep us working.

Does that about sum it up?

I think I've said this a bazillion times in other threads, but it's good not everybody is living as "off the grid" as many folks on here or our economy would have even more serious issues than it does now.

I've also said I wish our country would get into other sectors like "green" industry, high-speed rail, super efficient car production, solar polar and other things that would employ a ton of people at great wages and cause us to spend money, but on things that actually mean something and help conserve resources.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My goodness. I went shopping (paid cash with money I planned on spending) and come back to 4 pages. You folks have been busy.

Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Oh, geez. I've already listened to my kids bickering all day...:rolleyes:

So, we probably all agree: America depends on consumerism for its economy.

Many Americans spend money they don't have, and this is a bad thing for them, sometimes leading to bankrupcy.

For Americans who DO still have money, we are glad they are still spending it because we and other Americans depend on them spending money they have to keep us working.

Does that about sum it up?

I think I've said this a bazillion times in other threads, but it's good not everybody is living as "off the grid" as many folks on here or our economy would have even more serious issues than it does now.

I've also said I wish our country would get into other sectors like "green" industry, high-speed rail, super efficient car production, solar polar and other things that would employ a ton of people at great wages and cause us to spend money, but on things that actually mean something and help conserve resources.
Good post.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think it's kind of funny to say that people should spend more money so that we can keep our jobs and to say that it's a good thing more people aren't living off grid or our economy would be failing......

Hello? It's already failing and it's not because people aren't spending money.

If more people were frugal and off-grid, they wouldn't need higher paying jobs to pay for the stuff they actually DO buy. Face it folks, the typical person spends more money on non-essentials than they do on essential items for living.

We would still be spending money, just not on this grand scale for items we don't need to keep people in jobs they wouldn't need if they were not making payments on things that THEY don't need.

Basic shelter, basic foods, basic transportation, basic clothing, basic tools. Just because someone has a no-frills life doesn't mean they don't contribute to the good of the economy.

Reaction score
I give up. Is there anyone on this forum that understands basic economics that can communicate better than I can? My forehead is bloody.