Irresponsible People

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH and I filed for BK back in 99 or 98, don't even remember. It was due to a business venture gone bad,.and yes we also had CC debt on top of that. I look at it this way, we were young, we tried to do something and took a chance and we failed. It was a learning lesson for us. No we didn't go out and max out everything before filing either, it was a bad enough experience without trying to commit fraud on top of that. Setting in front of the federal BK court getting yourself reamed over mistakes you made is no picnic and I do not believe people should jump to conclusions when they hear of people going that route. It was a scary thing for us both because you feel like your world is crashing around you. We did learn real quick that there is more to life than a credit score and we turned out just fine for it. It ruined our credit, but in turn we learned to live using cash. Hard to have any or too much debt when you have no credit. Our credit is okay now, 10 years later, but we stay away from it. Lesson learned.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The American economic system is dependent on rampant consumerism. For the past thirty years or so everyone has been encouraged to live way beyond their means. As I've mentioned before, when I was younger we were encouraged to save - now they want us to spend, spend, borrow and spend some more, way over and above what we can afford to pay. Is there any wonder that the typical consumer who isn't really thinking past the next second is up to their ears in debt? Stuff, oh, they have stuff, and that magic plastic card is all it takes to get even more stuff. It's so illogical, and so pathetic, that people get themselves into these positions - no thought involved.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
DH and I filed for BK back in 99 or 98, don't even remember. It was due to a business venture gone bad,.and yes we also had CC debt on top of that. I look at it this way, we were young, we tried to do something and took a chance and we failed. It was a learning lesson for us. No we didn't go out and max out everything before filing either, it was a bad enough experience without trying to commit fraud on top of that. Setting in front of the federal BK court getting yourself reamed over mistakes you made is no picnic and I do not believe people should jump to conclusions when they hear of people going that route. It was a scary thing for us both because you feel like your world is crashing around you. We did learn real quick that there is more to life than a credit score and we turned out just fine for it. It ruined our credit, but in turn we learned to live using cash. Hard to have any or too much debt when you have no credit. Our credit is okay now, 10 years later, but we stay away from it. Lesson learned.
I am glad you posted this......great post!!!!

It is not just people gone wild in any way shape or form. People have trouble, people do need a way out and yes, they do pay for that easier way out big time.

So glad you showed the forum that not everyone filing BK is a slouch...or ever had fraud intentions etc.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
The American economic system is dependent on rampant consumerism. For the past thirty years or so everyone has been encouraged to live way beyond their means. As I've mentioned before, when I was younger we were encouraged to save - now they want us to spend, spend, borrow and spend some more, way over and above what we can afford to pay. Is there any wonder that the typical consumer who isn't really thinking past the next second is up to their ears in debt? Stuff, oh, they have stuff, and that magic plastic card is all it takes to get even more stuff. It's so illogical, and so pathetic, that people get themselves into these positions - no thought involved.
I hear you reinbeau and I agree to a point

the other being-----we are saturated with "buy now or be a loser and no good person if you don't purchase" advertising now.

very hard when day in and day out so many can buy, do have, it is in your face and we DO have this society.

It is society that is making the buyers "must have"---NOW the key being, can people truly look away from the saturation, lifestyles of those who can have, etc. and be responsible with their own dollar in their pocket?

In this hard nasty world I am trying to be sane and hold on and not want every single thing I see....but that is me....some can't do it. Some do go with societies flow and lose.

and yes it takes a crash and bad times for people to realize "living above your paycheck" is the worst one can do.

hope you get what I said..HAHAHA

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are not living in the 1800's anymore. What would happen if everybody said "Hey, I'm not going to buy anything except food, all the rest of my money will pay bills only" The answer is real simple. No it's not something you want to see. Continue being frugal yourself s but pray that everyone else spends. If not this country will collapse.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very true

if everyone did the same exact thing....a true society would not exist.
it couldn't

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't think spending is the issue it is more being a responsible spender.
Example,...if you are living on a $60,000 income a year, why would you buy a home with a mortgage of over $200,000????? It is above your means I believe. This is why people get in trouble, and in turn society does make them believe that if they don't "keep up with the Jones" they aren't worth nothing. But how do we blame it on society??? We all are free to think for ourselves, no one is made to act this way. It is a terrible cycle IMO.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Human deficiencies....human fralities....humans....no need to say more.

LOL

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
According the the federal bankruptcy court 120,000 families file for bankruptcy EVERY month! Over 50% of them are due to medical bills and of those 3/4's of the families HAD medical insurance.

Yes, there are very irresponsible people out there who are defrauding people and businesses alike. Trust me I was defrauded by one so I am extremely cynical over other people's bankruptcies, but these are the statistics.