Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
No, a frugal lifestyle isn't miserable.* Many frugal people say it's fun, freeing, even bad@$$.

My favorite frugal book on the topic is The Art of Frugal Hedonism

You can also check our these blog posts by Frugalwoods:
The Joy That Comes When Less in Enough
Strategic Luxury: The Difference Between Frugality and Miserliness

*A frugal lifestyle by choice is not miserable. However, a frugal lifestyle by necessity - due to scarcity, or poverty - is a whole difference situation. Read about that in the book Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saved 67% at Safeway by redeeming rain checks. One free box of cherrioes, five boxes of chex at $1.49 each, then found some lunch meat on 30% off and a box of some sort of cereal that was in the clearance section. Hubs will eat 2 boxes a week, altho I've started him back on the cold overnight oats to break up the amount of cereal he consumes.

I'm not humble - I'm proud to be saving money left and right, considering the cost of goods nowadays.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great topic ! Like many others I enjoy the challenge of being frugal and saving. I find it incredibly satisfying knowing how much more money I have in my pocket but at the same time having a bounty of food that was obtained either incredibly cheaply or free. Its the same as having a huge supply of firewood, I feel rich looking at it 😄
I wear a uniform at work given my field of employment so that's all supplied. and I usually buy my own clothes from the op shop.

Some people might call me cheap.. I say it's being intelligent.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got the pun! 🤣

HUGE temptation today. Jobs in 6 grocery stores. 🥴. I always look at sales and markdowns. There they were...chicken leg qtrs, $.41 per #. 😵‍💫 What a buy!!!! I was strong, bought none. I really don't care for dark meat. Still....cheaper than cat food 🤔 and broth for me. Its haunting me. :lol:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I broke my self imposed "no grocery buys"....had to get dry cat food and my path to that section took me past the ice cream freezers. Theorized it's been over 5 weeks, so I was due a treat. :lol: :old 🤫 got a box with 4 drumstick ice cream cones, caramel centered too. :drool. Hey, ice cream wasn't stocked in my freezer -- hmmm. Sad mistake there. 🤔😲. Plenty of choco chips tho.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So I broke my self imposed "no grocery buys"....had to get dry cat food and my path to that section took me past the ice cream freezers. Theorized it's been over 5 weeks, so I was due a treat. :lol: :old 🤫 got a box with 4 drumstick ice cream cones, caramel centered too. :drool. Hey, ice cream wasn't stocked in my freezer -- hmmm. Sad mistake there. 🤔😲. Plenty of choco chips tho.
I heard you say "I eliminated unnecessary food purchases so I could buy something I'd really enjoy without stressing my budget." 🤷‍♀️

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score