Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Being frugal with purposes is a lot of fun! I love it.

After moving to Germany, my life is very much changed. I enjoy cooking, but I always had plenty of choices when I lived in Taiwan, where street food can be found almost everywhere.

As a freelancer working from home, I started gardening and cooking almost twice or three times daily. The more I grow and cook, the less I am willing to eat in restaurants. Home food is so much better.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with all that said, everyone's needs are different but all should ask the question daily.
Is this ______ a need or a want?
does it have [if its food] nutritional value-is it a filler or going to feed the body? everything else is it just cute or functional?, will it work when the power goes out? .................................. these type of reality questions.
Now if we have the funds there is nothing wrong with treating ones self to............... what ever, but there are some that have a spending addiction, they have to constantly go to the store or online shopping, even in the name of need it,,, or might use it some day,,,,

Being able to be honest with ones self and content takes purposeful action, redirecting ones focus, breaking the learned behavior, leading by example
everything is a choice,

but,,, thats just me, my mind set is not for everyone and PTL we are not all the same, right

fp.gif

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One thing I've learned to do is, I buy the best quality clothing I can afford-- natural fibers and well made if possible. If I can find them in a thrift store or a yard sale, that's a bonus... but it doesn't happen often because we live in an area that has been financially depressed since I was in high school. I would rather have a half dozen good quality outfits (separates give me more choices), than 3 dozen cheap crap from WalMart that will either fall apart the third time I wear it, or something so butt-ugly it hurts your eyes, but lasts for 10 years (has anyone else noticed this tendency?) I'm trying to get better at sewing my own clothes, but it will take time. I would love to sew my own, and embellish them with embroidery/beadwork for dressy stuff. One of the most beautiful skirts I ever saw was a crazy quilt using velvets and satins, with beadwork. What a wow outfit for going out!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was offered a drill stem entry way at the front gate, $400 welded and installed. I’m thinking I’ll take that deal. I have a few stalks of drill stem and some heavy 4” pipe. Same guy has offered to make me corner braces, using my pipe. I’m thinking I’ve made a good friend.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been frugal this morning! :ya I picked Chickweed for tacos tonight! Foraging is no trip to the store, where I’d grab more stuff not on the list. Foraging is free, I don’t have to drop a $5 in the pasture. And since I picked it this morning, it’s washed and in the refrigerator, it is fresh! Not shipped 1,000 miles from who knows where.:weee

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Many people who live a frugal lifestyle spend as little as possible in some areas so they can spend more on other things that are more important. Like, we skip the iced coffee, takeout, fast food (or whatever is not so important to us) so we have more money for goats (or whatever is important to us). :gig

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many people who live a frugal lifestyle spend as little as possible in some areas so they can spend more on other things that are more important. Like, we skip the iced coffee, takeout, fast food (or whatever is not so important to us) so we have more money for goats (or whatever is important to us). :gig
This is us too! Not spending on those non-importsnt things allow me to keep expanding on my chickens and paid cash for a 2017 truck