Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I haven’t been very frugal lately. Moving will do that. But I paid cash for 25 acres with a double wide mobile home, so maybe that qualifies? LOL

I splurged today and got a Carmel frappechino. I was disappointed, it wasn’t that great. Sigh…. I guess I’ll just stick to my own cold leftover coffee, add sugar, cream and ice.
I used this stuff to make my homemade iced coffee next-level. It's amazing in anything chocolatey too (hot cocoa, chocolate pudding, etc.)
1668650269191.png

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That reminds me of my decadent frugal luxury: homemade vanilla extract! It's a little pricey up front to buy the vanilla beans and a long wait (6-12 months), but after that you get amazing vanilla extract.

I bought this pack of vanilla beans, for $9.45 in 2021. It made 32 ounces. Actually more, because I left the beans in one bottle and top it off with vodka every once in a while.

I had been paying $10/ounce for vanilla extract, so I figure this is worth $310 (32 oz x $10, minus $9.45. The vodka was a gift.)

On the other hand, I use more vanilla extract than I used to because I can afford to and we all love it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made my own pain killer with 3 cups of powdered wild lettuce and a fifth of 80 proof cheap vodka. A friend gave me the wild lettuce and the vodka was $12. They harvested the wild lettuce in the road ditches for their own use and shared with me for my knee replacement surgery. It helped dull the pain. It made 2 quarts. I only used a little, so will give them the rest, as they use it frequently. That, and Arnicare cream and pills, got me through the recovery pain.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have not been living as frugally as I would like but setting new goals for the next year and the years after will get me to the point where I am content. The one thing that I struggle with the most is sewing, so I spend (will always spend) money on clothes, bedding, linens, etc. BUT I shop at thrift stores or only buy clothes on clearance - min 75% off, takes some searching but it can be done. The hardest to find deals on is winter gear, it is so expensive!

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Being frugal with purposes is a lot of fun! I love it.

After moving to Germany, my life is very much changed. I enjoy cooking, but I always had plenty of choices when I lived in Taiwan, where street food can be found almost everywhere.

As a freelancer working from home, I started gardening and cooking almost twice or three times daily. The more I grow and cook, the less I am willing to eat in restaurants. Home food is so much better.