Is a frugal lifestyle miserable?

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I’ve purged my closet almost to the point of nakedness. I’m going to have to haunt the sale racks-and I hate shopping.
Bay!! I hate shopping too!!!

The way I bought clothes after moving to Germany (and started work from home) -- figuring out what is cozy and easy to clean/care --> buying three to five same pieces when there is a special offer. :lol:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The way I bought clothes after moving to Germany (and started work from home) -- figuring out what is cozy and easy to clean/care --> buying three to five same pieces when there is a special offer. :lol:
I do this as well, the joys of working from home!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My work from home uniform in summer consists of faded, paint splotched blue jeans that may have holes in them, a faded T-shirt, and tennis shoes that are no longer town shoes.
Winter is a little more diversified. Same blue jeans or flannel lined jeans ( I caught on sale for $8) long sleeved T-Shirt, long sleeved faded denim shirt, Carhart insulated over alls, a sweat hoodie and rubber boots. Optional is a knit hat under the hoodie, a Carhart coat over the sweat hoodie, fleece lined gloves and thick wool socks.

Other options are not get dressed and slop around in sweat pants and big baggy T-shirt. Going out to do chores, put on all the outerwear listed above. :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have my athleisure "uniform" - black/gray leggings, capris, or bike shorts, black/gray tank tops, black/gray zipper hoodies, and bright colored shirts. I wore that exclusively for years. This was my solution for chronic illness and being bedbound - socially acceptable pajamas 24/7. :gig

Now that I'm doing better I've been building up a second wardrobe. Wool, silk, cashmere, leather, fur. All thrifted for ridiculously low prices. You learn which thrift stores haven't figure out to mark up the good stuff. :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love giving my dogs new toys. They're so fun to watch. and they're more appreciative than my children. :hide I can really mess up a budget in a big way with dog treats and toys!

I took 3 old dog toys and wrapped them up for Yule. Splash gets to rip open a box of "new" toys and it doesn't cost anything.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Anatolians like bones for their dog toys. Carson is easy to please. I have lots and lots of dog toys-free! After cutting 6 dead oak trees, they are abundant.

5D559793-7DD8-4A01-8D59-87080F62C306.jpeg

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great topic ! Like many others I enjoy the challenge of being frugal and saving. I find it incredibly satisfying knowing how much more money I have in my pocket but at the same time having a bounty of food that was obtained either incredibly cheaply or free. Its the same as having a huge supply of firewood, I feel rich looking at it 😄
I wear a uniform at work given my field of employment so that's all supplied. and I usually buy my own clothes from the op shop.

Some people might call me cheap.. I say it's being intelligent.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not cheap. But it does take self training to get there. Grow what you can, preserve it, learn to make things. Time elements can be hard -- younger families, younger children (pier pressures), working adults. Easier if you were raised into the lifestyle. 😏

So worth it though....financially and emotionally, plus health benefits.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
with all that said, everyone's needs are different but all should ask the question daily.
Is this ______ a need or a want?
does it have [if its food] nutritional value-is it a filler or going to feed the body? everything else is it just cute or functional?, will it work when the power goes out? .................................. these type of reality questions.
Now if we have the funds there is nothing wrong with treating ones self to............... what ever, but there are some that have a spending addiction, they have to constantly go to the store or online shopping, even in the name of need it,,, or might use it some day,,,,

Being able to be honest with ones self and content takes purposeful action, redirecting ones focus, breaking the learned behavior, leading by example
everything is a choice,

but,,, thats just me, my mind set is not for everyone and PTL we are not all the same, right

fp.gif