Is my Kombucha suposed to taste like this?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just uncovered my first-ever batch of Kombucha. Everything worked out perfectly thanks to our fellow SSer framing fowl. Now I have two nice SCOBY pieces. I just finished a small juice glass of the stuff and each sip slightly burned my tongue and now my throat feels strange. It has been about 10 minutes since I finished my taste test and now my stomach is growling. The taste is nothing to write home about but it is OK. :sick Do any of you know the alcohol content?

Is this my last day on earth? Should I hurry up and update my last will and testament? Is this what the Jim Jones cult used in Guyana? :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I just uncovered my first-ever batch of Kombucha. Everything worked out perfectly thanks to our fellow SSer framing fowl. Now I have two nice SCOBY pieces. I just finished a small juice glass of the stuff and each sip slightly burned my tongue and now my throat feels strange. It has been about 10 minutes since I finished my taste test and now my stomach is growling. The taste is nothing to write home about but it is OK. :sick Do any of you know the alcohol content?

Is this my last day on earth? Should I hurry up and update my last will and testament? Is this what the Jim Jones cult used in Guyana? :)
:lol: Alcohol content is 0.0something.

It should taste like a cross between 75% apple cider and 25% vinegar.
Now, this stuff is a powerful detoxifier. That may explain the sensations. That, and it may be slightly overbrewed.
Go easy at first. A couple tbls per day for a week or so.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OMG! I slugged down 4 oz. of the stuff. Hic!

Should I keep it in a plastic pitcher in the 'frige? I know the brewing process should be in glass only but now that it's finished and being refrigerated do you think plastic is OK? I don't have a glass pitcher or large jar. Oh wait, I have some canning jars that I could use. Oh great, now I'll have to arm wrestle DW for the jars.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
How do you know when the kombucha is ready???
during your first few batches, use a straw to pull up a sample from the middle of the jar. It should taste as I described above when its ready.
This will give you a feel for the time needed in your home and climate for brewing. Just be aware that during winter it takes longer.

Boogity, never place or store your kombucha in metal or plastic. Strict rule to adhere to at all times :old
We bottle ours in E-Z Cap bottles. There are three ways you can procure those. Buy them at a brewers. Advertise on Craigslist for them. Or buy Grolsch Beer.
Buying the beer is the same cost as buying empties that are new. The beer can be poured out if you do not care for it.
When bottled this way, you get a fabulous fizz, as long as you store it at room temp for a few days before chilling it.
You might enjoy putting slices of fresh ginger in the finished batch at bottling time. Or slices of peach, pear, or your favorite berry.
About 1 tbls worth.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Oops, definitely go easy on it at first :D. Not going to kill you but detoxing too quickly usually isn't pleasant. You'll slowly build up drinking the 4 oz.

As far knowing when it's ready, do the straw test like BB said but just for fun, start on the 3rd day or so and do it every day so you can taste what is happening as it works. For me, it was tasting it as I went and it just didn't taste right and then one day it tasted completely different.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
You started yours from a bottle of the plain storebought right Boogity? If so, I thought mine tasted like that but a bit earthier and not fizzy. Maybe that's a better description.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Mine tastes a bit vinegar-y (but I think I run out of time and tend to let it go a day or so too long). This last batch I knew I was going to not be able to bottle it, so I dumped another slug of sugar into each jar and let it go. I have kombucha vinegar now- I just tasted it. Really strong! I am going to jar it and use it in place of ACV, I think.

I actually jar mine up in re-used glass bottles that I have saved from buying store bought kombucha from before I started my own. I have to say, though, mine doesn't get fizzy. At least not like the store bought stuff does.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm still alive! I'm a little lighter than I was this morning though.

Yes, framing fowl, I started my SCOBY from a 16 oz. bottle of CT's organic. I followed your instructions and it worked perfect. Then I brewed 3 C. of 50% Earl Gray (2 tea bags) and 50% Green Tea (2 teabags). After it cooled to just a bit above room temperature I added 2/3 C. of the original CT's Kombucha and the new SCOBY in a clear glass mixing bowl. I covered it with a cotton cloth and set the bowl in our mud room away from direct sunlight. After 5 days I sampled it with a straw and it was already a little fizzy but the liquid was pretty dark. It had a strong tea flavor. On day 6 it tasted the same. On day 7 it was more fizzy and it seemed to be a slight bit sweeter tasting with less tea flavor. This morning (day 8) I poured the batch into 4 one pint Mason jars and placed them into the 'frige. That's when I poured myself a 4 oz. glass and slugged it down. It was fizzy and it sorta burned my tongue and throat - kind of like Vernor's ginger ale. I put both SCOBYs into the bowl along with 1 C. of the liquid Kombucha (for starter next time) and it is still sitting on the kitchen table.

About 15 minutes after drinking the stuff this morning I actually had a buzz for about 1/2 hr. About an hour later I had the green-apple-quick-step for about 20 minutes. Is that all this stuff is supposed to do? EX-lax or prunes are a lot less trouble.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I'm still alive! I'm a little lighter than I was this morning though.

Yes, framing fowl, I started my SCOBY from a 16 oz. bottle of CT's organic. I followed your instructions and it worked perfect. Then I brewed 3 C. of 50% Earl Gray (2 tea bags) and 50% Green Tea (2 teabags). After it cooled to just a bit above room temperature I added 2/3 C. of the original CT's Kombucha and the new SCOBY in a clear glass mixing bowl. I covered it with a cotton cloth and set the bowl in our mud room away from direct sunlight. After 5 days I sampled it with a straw and it was already a little fizzy but the liquid was pretty dark. It had a strong tea flavor. On day 6 it tasted the same. On day 7 it was more fizzy and it seemed to be a slight bit sweeter tasting with less tea flavor. This morning (day 8) I poured the batch into 4 one pint Mason jars and placed them into the 'frige. That's when I poured myself a 4 oz. glass and slugged it down. It was fizzy and it sorta burned my tongue and throat - kind of like Vernor's ginger ale. I put both SCOBYs into the bowl along with 1 C. of the liquid Kombucha (for starter next time) and it is still sitting on the kitchen table.

About 15 minutes after drinking the stuff this morning I actually had a buzz for about 1/2 hr. About an hour later I had the green-apple-quick-step for about 20 minutes. Is that all this stuff is supposed to do? EX-lax or prunes are a lot less trouble.
:lol: You should be fine now. Unless you decide to stop drinking it for a few weeks and then drink a bunch again. Be assure this was not an actual laxative. What it did was remove the toxic buildup, and leave behind the good stuff.