Is my Kombucha suposed to taste like this?

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rathbone, you could get a bottle of GT's raw kombucha at a health food store and start from that. It is what I did. Made a regular kombucha tea recipe and added the bottle of Kombucha as starter. If raw, there are lots of yeasties to get a scoby started. My first scoby was really thin, and I didn't drink much of the booch, just used it as starter in a bigger jar to help the scoby grow. That was a couple months ago, and I now have two big fat (1/2 inch) scobies.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you can't find swing top beer bottles, there is a brand of lemonade that comes in those bottles. I saw them at safe way. Also, 360 brand vodka comes in swing top bottles.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
If you can't find swing top beer bottles, there is a brand of lemonade that comes in those bottles. I saw them at safe way. Also, 360 brand vodka comes in swing top bottles.
Sooooo...... you're saying you need to drink a bunch of vodka collins in order to make kombucha??? I'm in! :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Rathbone, you could get a bottle of GT's raw kombucha at a health food store and start from that. It is what I did. Made a regular kombucha tea recipe and added the bottle of Kombucha as starter. If raw, there are lots of yeasties to get a scoby started. My first scoby was really thin, and I didn't drink much of the booch, just used it as starter in a bigger jar to help the scoby grow. That was a couple months ago, and I now have two big fat (1/2 inch) scobies.
Sorry to thread hi jack. Becca, this is what I did. Is there a reason you did not drink your first batch? How long do the subsequent batches take?

g

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I ferment mine in an old gallon glass pickle jar that has been bleached to remove the dill flavor. Then I transfer mine to a clean glass jar in the fridge and just leave a cup or so of the liquid with the scoby in it on the counter until I'm ready to make another batch. I peel the old scobys off and give mine to the chickens too. I also try to cut a hunk off of one of the old ones and put it in a pint jar with kombucha and keep it in the fridge just in case.

I usually just pour off a bit and taste it when the scoby looks good and thick. I got a starter from Blackbird ages ago. I tried to get my papa started on it but I think it got moldy...the mail lady left the starter hanging on the mailbox all day long in the heat instead of sitting it by the front door in the shade :rolleyes:

My batches usually take 7-10 days depending on the temps in the house.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
BeccaOH said:
Sorry to thread hi jack. Becca, this is what I did. Is there a reason you did not drink your first batch? How long do the subsequent batches take?

g
Well, I had start it in a quart jar and I wanted to keep a good bit to give it a good start when I switched over to a gallon jar. I probably drank 6 oz of it, though.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To the kombucha oldtimers out there . . .
How do you drink your kombucha?
How much do you drink?
How often do you drink it?
What physical effects have you noticed?
Why did you originally start drinking it?
Can you honestly say that you notice any changes in your health and well being?
Have any of you used it for a while and then simply quit drinking and making it?
Thanks.