Is my Kombucha suposed to taste like this?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
. . . Be assure this was not an actual laxative. What it did was remove the toxic buildup, and leave behind the good stuff.
Please don't think that I'm being an ungrateful wise guy. I love this kind of thing and the SSers here have lots of wonderful ideas and advise. But I'm the kind of person who never takes anyone's word for it. How do I know this stuff is doing anything besides giving me a tingly tongue and a trip to the potty? Can anyone lead me to actual lab test results and doctors reports? When I try to find some factual information on Kombucha I find tons of hearsay and wivestales. That may be plenty good enough for some folks.

Hey wait a minute! I know . . . it's Love Potion #9. Look out Madam Rue, I know your secret now.

She bent down and turned around and gave me a wink. It smelled like turpentine and looked like India ink. I held my nose, I closed my eyes . . . I took a drink.

But I draw the line at kissing cops though.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Boogity... you want science? Where's the fun in that? I can't believe you don't want to just jump right in and use your own body as a guinea pig :plbb. Sounds like you were half way there already. -Just kidding.

Anyway, I don't know of any science on the stuff. Sorry I can't help.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buying the beer is the same cost as buying empties that are new. The beer can be poured out if you do not care for it.
Now why didn't I think of that?! I keep looking online for the bottles and can't bring myself to pay the cost plus shipping. I'm sure I can find someone who might even want free beer as long as I get the bottles. :lol:

Now what local store sells Grolsch????

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to ask - what is special about Grolisch beer bottles? Is it that they do not have screw-on tops?

ETA: Oops - I found them on google. I also think there are bottle caps and bottle cappers available to home brewers.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My swing-top bottles are my favorites and are in constant rotation....I keep all my extracts in the beer bottle size ones and use a few for daily beverages to carry with me...I'll make up four bottles of my chai kombucha mix or simply water and put them in the fridge or bring them in a cooler. They fit in those insulated water bottle carriers, too, so you can drive without looking like you are swigging beer from a bottle! :p

I also have 6 or 7 quart size ones that I LOVE and use mostly for the chai concentrate that I make a gallon at a time. I also have bottled small batches of wine into them...for quick use, like my onion wine, for cooking. I don't want to keep my few swing-tops out of the rotation for too long. Except for the beer ones....I have a bunch of Grolsch bottles that a couple of friends saved for me and I bought a case of empty bottles and don't regret it for one minute. You can get new gaskets for them at brewing supply places. Actually, the empty bottles are usually pretty cheap there, too, if you can walk in and don't have to pay shipping for glass.....Look online, there may be a store closer than you think. There are 3 in areas that we drive by throughout the year for other reasons.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What do you guys do with your SCOBYs? I now have my original which is about 10" diameter and 1/4" thick and a new one that is about 10" diameter and 1/8" thick. The new one is busy creating another newer one right now. Do you throw away the old ones? It seems a shame to throw it out when there may be folks who are looking for starters.

Also, if I want to stop making Kombucha for a while, how can I safely put my newest SCOBY in storage?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I keep a couple of scoby's in the back of the fridge in a jar, in non-chlorinated water. Put the date on it. It will keep for many months, usually, but I try to remember to change it out periodically. I've had a batch go moldy a couple of times and it was good to have a spare. I've also had the opportunity to share many times.

I used to just toss the old scoby or put it on the compost pile, but recently read (here, I think) to feed it to the hens. I tossed one in and they went wild for it! It must be good for them, so that is where all my scobys will go in the future.

Sometimes, if it is very cool, the new scoby will be rather thin. In that case, I don't separate it, I just use the entire hunk to make the next batch.

I have a pic somewhere of a very neglected batch where I left it unattended all winter. I had some big health things and just couldn't get much done and the kombucha....well, I'd open that closet now and then, look at it, and quietly close the door and hobble away. It survived, and can be amazingly forgiving!

You will likely have far more scobys than you can ever give away, so toss 'em without guilt.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to try the chickens. They have not had many treats for a long while as they free range every day.

Do you fold the SCOBY to fit it into the jar? Do you submerge it in the Kombucha liquid in the jar?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep fold 'em up. Cover them with plain water...spring water or filtered water but definitely no chlorine to throw the balance off.