Is my Kombucha suposed to taste like this?

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I read to keep extra scobys in a jar of kombucha liquid on a pantry shelf. :hu

Everyone has their own method, I guess.

I'd still like to start a constant brew. Right now I'm doing one gallon at a time and can't wait the 7 day minimum. I haven't had any kombucha for 3 days now that I shared some of mine with a friend.

I tried to warn her to start slow. She said she did do just 2 ounces the first time, but she enjoyed it so much that she finished the 16 ounce bottle the next day. She said she woke up sick. The last time she felt that bad was with a margarita hangover. :ep

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
It will keep for many months, usually, but I try to remember to change it out periodically. I've had a batch go moldy a couple of times and it was good to have a spare.
I had a friend mail me a scoby. I followed the directions she sent. On day four, white mold started growing on the top of the water. I wasn't sure what to do. I skimmed it off. Another moldy spot started growing on the surface - I skimmed it off. I don't visually see any mold now? The scoby has now risen to the top...
Now I am afraid to try drinking the stuff. Is the mold going to hurt me? I am not sure what to do.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I think I would keep rinsing the scoby to wash out any mold spores left, then let it be for awhile and see if it is still growng. And boil/sterilize any jar it is going into.

I am going to have to try to find Grolsch (?) beer- those tops look cool! Right now I am re-bottling my kombucha in re-used bottles the commercial kombucha is sold in. We have lots of those since SO tends to drink the store bought stuff. :rolleyes:

I am going to have to try to separate my scoby, too- good to know that it can be stored. I have 2 quart jars going and that is as much as I can drink in a week. The scoby in both of them is getting really thick since I just re-add the whole thing to the new batch. It is going to take over the jars soon. :D Anyone need one?

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I decided to just - drink it. Doesn't taste moldy. Tastes tangy, vinegary. So I have survived whatever it is I worried might happen. Mold Schmold. I think it will be fine.
Edited because I apparently forgot how to spell Schmold. Go figger.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
rathbone said:
freemotion said:
It will keep for many months, usually, but I try to remember to change it out periodically. I've had a batch go moldy a couple of times and it was good to have a spare.
I had a friend mail me a scoby. I followed the directions she sent. On day four, white mold started growing on the top of the water. I wasn't sure what to do. I skimmed it off. Another moldy spot started growing on the surface - I skimmed it off. I don't visually see any mold now? The scoby has now risen to the top...
Now I am afraid to try drinking the stuff. Is the mold going to hurt me? I am not sure what to do.
That is likely not mold.
That is the beginnings of the new scoby growing.
You need to leave it alone ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, a new scoby usually looks like white spots floating on top of the liquid, then they get bigger and bigger until they cover the entire surface. Then the floating thing gets thicker until it is a normal looking scoby. Or not. Sometimes I get a thinnish whitish one. I suspect it is the water here.....in that case, I toss the thin one and use the old one to make the new batch.

You can also divide a scoby by cutting it up. I've divided my good scoby by cutting it in half when I had one batch go moldy (same batch I mentioned before....its not like I have batches going moldy left and right! :p ) I make 2-4 one gallon batches at a time. I pass some on to three different elderly people who enjoy it but can't keep a batch going.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay...it really is mold. White fuzzy mold. I am not sure what to do. Even if I rinse heavily and disinfect the jar...aren't I going to add back in some of the original liquid?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
rathbone said:
Okay...it really is mold. White fuzzy mold. I am not sure what to do. Even if I rinse heavily and disinfect the jar...aren't I going to add back in some of the original liquid?
No, you are going to dispose of the scoby and the liquid. Its fully contaminated.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sigh...will do. Gonna have to look around for a new scoby. Thanks bubbling brooks.