Is my self canned tomato sauce safe to eat?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I listen to every jar I open. Was taught that as a little kid. That goes for store canned and jarred goods as well.

First I always try to remove a lid with my thumb and nail. I've caught several jars over the years that way. I'm not happy with the Tattler lids because they are much more likely to fail that test on me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It just might make sense that: If the ring was loose, this would hold the weight of the jars in the next layer UP OFF the lid, thus, protecting the seal from the so called concern about faiure and re-sealing. The ring would be supported by the threads instead of bearing down on the lid. Just a thought.

it's a nice try, but in our case the ring is on tight. :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a ton of the 10 oz oyster jars. Those don't come with rings and lids when you buy them. All rings are removed and washed thoroughly to remove fish oil before being stored. I usually wash them again before using JIC I missed some oil.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BWB tomatoes....we never PC tomatoes. We've also consumed 30 yr old raw honey...best honey I've ever eaten.
I can't imagine an 8-year-old canned tomato can still be consumed, I mean, even "properly canned branded tomatoes have expiration dates that won't be more than 2 years right?