Is there anything SS you'd rather not do?

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hate gardening. I hate the weeds and the bugs and the heat,..yuck! :sick But,.. I will have my "yard" garden, I have to have fresh tomatoes and lettuce.
I like staying well rounded, I have tryed many things trying to be more SS, but not all agree with me. I like my few conviniences I have and I have a large lazy streak,.especially the older I get.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I would never kill something. I am not a vegetarian, I am simply unable to kill something. Even if I were dying of hunger, I would rather eat trees.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yeah, i would MUCH rather have the chickens loose all their feathers, walk into the house, and conveniently drop dead on the cutting board.
:lol: If only we all could be so lucky

Laundry---ugh, the one household chore I really dislike the most. And that's because there are so many steps-gather it all up, sort into piles, put in the washer, put in the dryer, fold it & put it away then start all over again.
I haven't had a wash line for outside & will try that this summer although I did try one of those wooden collapsable jobbies when kids were babies, but the clothes were stiff (does fabric softener help?) and the darn thing would tip over in a good breeze. :barnie

I do love gardening, BUT I don't like the time it takes for things to grow. For some reason the darn weeds always grows faster. In my opinion, if you plant seeds they should have the courtesy to grow atleast an inch a week AND once you pull a weed, it should never come back. :rant
Then of course I wake up :D

Edited to fix the quote

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Am I being overly sensitive, or were you really ridiculing me? I know how it "feels", but I wanted to check with you about intent. I received that as an insult, and I am not easily offended, so perhaps you could clarify.

old fashioned said:
yeah, i would MUCH rather have the chickens loose all their feathers, walk into the house, and conveniently drop dead on the cutting board.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2K---Oh my gosh NO. I am sooo sorry, I never intended to ridicule or offend you or anyone. I was just laughing at a previous post that I'd read in a joking manner.
I had tried to "quote" them but messed it up.
But I swear I never meant any offense.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I will probably NEVER butcher large animals even if I have the space.

I am sure I could kill and butcher them if necessary, but I trust our local family owned butcher shop. I just drive them there, put them in their stall, give them a few pats and pick them up in paper packages.

I have grown pleasantly used to them coming home in white paper packages!

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i use to hang them on the line with those stupid clips that constantly got lost and i had to keep buying
but what i do now is take them straight out the washer hang on hangers and hang on the line while on hangers so when they are dry they go straight into the closets

Quail_Antwerp said:
Hanging laundry on the line - I absolutely hate it. Yes, we do it ever summer, yes I know it saves energy - I just really don't care. With five kids and laundry always piled up (or so it seems) it's just far easier to toss in the dryer and use that electric to dry our clothes. And faster.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Butchering. I started hunting at about eight years old, and there's been a lot of years gone by since. I've raised chickens, rabbits, pigs, goats, and fish for food at various times over the years. Now I find, that the older I get, the more soft hearted (headed?) I get. I still raise animals for food, but I tend to get attached to them too easily these days. :/
I haven't even gotten to the butchering part because I can't take it... I really want to process my own chickens, but gosh I don't know if I can.
I'm scared to go out and buy 25 meat chickens and then get stuck not being able to "process" them, so its a huge speed BUMP for me! I just can't move forward on that one.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I hate gardening. I hate the weeds and the bugs and the heat,..yuck! :sick But,.. I will have my "yard" garden, I have to have fresh tomatoes and lettuce.
I like staying well rounded, I have tryed many things trying to be more SS, but not all agree with me. I like my few conviniences I have and I have a large lazy streak,.especially the older I get.
I hate the weeds as well, I'm hoping to avoid that this year - I just bought (I know I paid cash money) for some cedar 2x6's and my hubby is going to help me build a raised bed, I will put some chicken wire or something under the thing to keep the veggies from the gophers, and I have some plumbing pipe to make hoops over the top to keep the chickens out.
I can't wait to get started! I just got the cedar yesterday. I keep changing my mind on where to put it - I need it close enough to the house that I can use a hose to water, but away from the shade of the tree's.

Latest posts