Is there anything SS you'd rather not do?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Hanging laundry on the line - I absolutely hate it. Yes, we do it ever summer, yes I know it saves energy - I just really don't care. With five kids and laundry always piled up (or so it seems) it's just far easier to toss in the dryer and use that electric to dry our clothes. And faster.
And here I am, just bought one of those umbrella shaped lines to hang my stuff out for a change, we get too cold in winter - well for 8 months of the year, and then it gets dusty and rainy for the better part of summer, but I'll be happy to hang out the bigger stuff when I get the chance. Towels and sheets and things like that if not everything.
(We just got our tax money, hence the purchase of the washing line and the cedar for the raised garden bed! :D )

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I must be having a lapse of confidence !

old fashioned said:
Ldychef2K---Oh my gosh NO. I am sooo sorry, I never intended to ridicule or offend you or anyone. I was just laughing at a previous post that I'd read in a joking manner.
I had tried to "quote" them but messed it up.
But I swear I never meant any offense.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef: :hugs (My daughter lit up the rocket stove last night and cooked some shrimp all by herself! We love it!!)

I can't butcher any of my animals either. Last week, I had the old red rooster upsidedown in a make shift cone strung up in a tree, a sharp knife, a big pot of hot sudsy water heating on the rocket stove (THANK YOU LDYCHEF! ;) ) and a big pot of ice water next to that....and I just couldn't do it. :/ As much as I hate him, I just couldn't do it. :idunno

I was so tempted to call on my favorite neighbor Mr. Ben to just slit his throat for me. (I am pretty confident I could do the rest.) Then I thought that I might be asking too much. :p

Everything else about my SS life I love! I love working in the garden, I love taking care of the animals, I love baking bread, I love filling my pantry with food, I love my lawn mowing sheep, I love riding my horses, I love foraging for food, I love pruning my apple etc. trees, I LOVE all the money I save, I love, LOVE my life!! :p

Yesterday I spent ALL day outside working: trimming the dogs, planting seeds, sprucing up the front yard, sweeping up hay, churning the compost pile, cleaning the duck pond and the chicken coop, building Pumpkin's broody pen...I just couldn't get enough! (I didn't spend a penny either!)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Right now dealing with weeds is my #1 SS hated aspect. After spending hours digging that blasted creeping grass out of my beds yet again, I am oh so close to buying some roundup. I simply cannot keep up with it :hit It's either roundup or calling it quits.
#2 would be preparing all the "slow" food to feed us all. It is so hard some days to do it all, and I have let go of some of it for the time being. I have a hard time with the planning aspect - thinking about what to thaw, what beans to soak and cook, etc. I like to cook on the fly so the planning sucks for me.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Thanks so much. I must be having a lapse of confidence !

old fashioned said:
Ldychef2K---Oh my gosh NO. I am sooo sorry, I never intended to ridicule or offend you or anyone. I was just laughing at a previous post that I'd read in a joking manner.
I had tried to "quote" them but messed it up.
But I swear I never meant any offense.
No I don't think you were "having a lapse of confidence". I read & re-read your post & then my post as it was originally and was horrified at how it must have looked to you & could very well understand your upset, I would be too :hit I seem to have a bad habit of opening mouth & inserting both feet & completely unaware of any damage. I thank you for bringing it to my attention.
I can't kill anything either, just don't have the heart for it. And I've gotten even softer as I get older. DH is a hunter & I cringe everytime he brings home the animal to finish skinning & gutting. I stay in the house if at all possible & let him do all that stuff. I do help cut the meat & wrap it when we've done it ourselves, but I don't like seeing a fresh kill. DH laughs at me & says "how would you ever make it if we did have a farm?" I just tell him either he'd have to do the dirty work or hire someone else.

Maybe it's a good thing we don't have a real farm with alot of animals & live in town with a grocery store just down the road! Or we'd probably be vegetarians.

Again I apologize.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Hey Old Fashioned, you think your hubby could "do in" my rooster? :p
:lol: He won't even do our own. I'm thinking he's almost as soft as I am. It's like he has no problem with wild deer & elk but NOT the domesticated ones. So far, he's been telling me "they're your chickens, you do it"

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have had ducks for a year and a half and have yet to have a duck dinner :gig