Is there anything SS you'd rather not do?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Hey Old Fashioned, you think your hubby could "do in" my rooster? :p
buy me a plane ticket and i'll come up and do it!! i need the practice (i just put my last- only the 5th i've done- spare roo in the freezer).

i really do feel like if i can do it, pretty much anyone can do it. i SWEAR the anticipation is the worst part. once you make your first cut, it all gets easier from there. like i've said before, i once tried to take a SERIOUSLY dead rabbit i'd run over to the vet... i'm the biggest softy. but i know the alternatives are bad news and i just can't go back to being a vegetarian... that was a long couple of years.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Butchering is weird. I wrote something about getting ducks for dinner on my facebook, my family started going on and on about how they could see me eating eggs, but not animals! They were all stunned. It is the talk of our family now apparantly, even family without facebook will ask me about it, lol. My sister just wanted to make sure that I didn't post pictures of anything that I plan to butcher, because she'd get attached to the cute baby animal in the picture, then cry thinking that I'd be eating it, lol. Anyways, I used to be a total softy. I couldn't stand the thought of hurting an animal. With age and having kids, I've learned to get over it real quick. I prefer doing it myself, because then I have control over it and know that they aren't suffering. I've seen other people kill before butchering, and it's not pretty in many cases. Some cases have made me cringe, and that's after becoming ok with killing cute fuzzy animals.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Heehee, out of all of my birds I think doing in my ducks would be the hardest...they have the sweetest eyes!
Yeah, it's hard to do the deed once you've looked them in the eye. I keep trying to tell myself (&DH) it would be much easier if we had atleast 25 or 50 of each kind of animal cause then I wouldn't really be able to "see" them and any harvesting would be "lost in the crowd". Atleast that's what I keep telling myself :/

I suppose if we lived far enough away from a store or other source, had absolutely no money and had to rely on our animals for food lest we starve......I'd probably do it & I'm sure the first time is always the hardest. I guess it's just the idea of the whole thing.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have had ducks for a year and a half and have yet to have a duck dinner :gig
:gig I bought 6 little muscovies, unsexed and I was sure if we got more than one boy we'd be eating duck...
NOPE - I regularly have to run outside with a broom to stop the fools trying to kill each other. I ended up with three boys - they're huge, eat too much and don't do any bug hunting. THey just hang around waiting for a girl to walk past, or another boy to pick on! :barnie

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'd rather not do some things by hand , in the sense that i like power tools and equipment. I love our skidsteer, , riding lawn mower, powerwasher, cordless drills, chainsaw, breadmaker, electric mixer. etc. I don't think I would love SS as much if I had to scythe the yard, move piles of manure with a shovel and wheelbarrow, etc. I like the modern conveniences of electric and fuel powered equipment. I don't have a problem with dispatching an animal (but I have not done anything larger than a chicken yet). I don't mind hard work, but I would rather not felll a tree with a saw (or whatever they are called) or turn in a screw with a screwdriver--thats what cordless drills were invented for. I know if I didn;'t have those things, my arthritis would prevent me from doing alot of SS things.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
No need to apologize! I thought it was something like that. And trust me, I am an expert at "opening my mouth just to change feet" !!! You are SO kind to go to such lengths by way of response. I sometimes take things wrong and then don't clarify, and end up blowing everything out of proportion. I decided to be a grown up this time, and sunofagun if it didn't have a great resolution ! thanks for helping me grow up a little !

No I don't think you were "having a lapse of confidence". I read & re-read your post & then my post as it was originally and was horrified at how it must have looked to you & could very well understand your upset, I would be too :hit I seem to have a bad habit of opening mouth & inserting both feet & completely unaware of any damage. I thank you for bringing it to my attention.
BBH: I am super happy that you are using and liking the rocket stove. I think kids are the best when it comes to these kinds of new adventures!!!!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
You are SO kind to go to such lengths by way of response.
hmmm...Are you saying I talk too much? :lol: I'm only joking & the jokes on me here

I've been on this forum for only a few months & been trying to make friends. I guess I can get a bit over-zealous & unthinking and have stepped on quite a few toes in the process. And I feel aweful about it. I've been trying to be more careful about how my posts may seem to others to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings but it doesn't always work that way.
I am usually a very outspoken person & I speak my mind-which is to say if I think it, I speak it. I just have to remember to choose my words more carefully and I'm better at it some days than others.
I have NO desire to make enemies with anyone here on this forum cause I'd much rather we'd all be friends & get along. :D
And it's true that alot of expression is lost in cyberspace.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
bibliophile birds said:
yeah, i would MUCH rather have the chickens loose all their feathers, walk into the house, and conveniently drop dead on the cutting board.
:lol: If only we all could be so lucky
glad you appreciated that comment. sorry it got you into hot water!

just like most of us, i'd really rather not have to personally kill anything to know i'm eating organic, healthy, clean, humanely raised and dispatched food... but, unfortunately i feel that's almost what it takes these days. unless you are lucky enough to know someone else who does it for you! i think the self-processing chicken might be the breeding project i work on next!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Naw, it wasn't your comment that got me into trouble....it was the way I had presented it (I deleted the quote marks & it appeared as part of my post)
What the heck, ya only live once & I live dangerously. (I have plenty of blisters from all the hot water I've gotten into whether on this forum or throughout my life) :/

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hate to shovel or otherwise move poop. Rabbits & chickens poop a LOT... Can't wait to get the worms installed, that will at least take care of the rabbits.

Telling myself its fertilizer doesn't help in the slightest. :p

Latest posts