Is this at all possible?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boyfriend is my WORST enabler!!! Last ex, I had to fight with him if I wanted ANYTHING... George not only allows my hair-brained ideas, HE SUPPORTS THEM!!! So, I no longer have to build a coop for the birds... He said to just leave it bare, then just hose it out. I could always use some homemade laundry detergent and one of the huge scrub brushes to wash it out as well. I'll have to go look again, if it's true cement, with a nice polished type top, then I can use the flat shovel to scrape up the majority of it, then hose/scrub. I can always test it out, see how it works, then try other methods. A powerwasher will get anything off if the bare method doesn't work, then I can start from scratch.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it could be a perfect rabbit room if it can be kept a little more temperature controled, add in quail cages too (least thats what i would use it as rather than a coop) however i you want to do a coop id suggest sealing the concrete (will prevent any stink from absorbing into the floor) using any kind of good garage floor paint. then go with a deep litter method usig lenty of shavings and DE...when properly done deep litter with a full clean out every 6 months is LESS smelly than normal bedding with a once a week clean out (as my parents found out in theircoop, its deep litter ALL the way now) then when you do the full clean out each 6 months sweep out well and spray the whole thing down with a 10% bleach solution (get one of those mixers that clips onto the hose to mix it for you. let it sit a few mins, rinse and squeegy well, allow to air dry before putting fresh bedding in and you SHOULD be good to go. id personally add a poop board under the roost (as thats where the majority of the smell wil come from is under the roost) you can then take out the poop board once a week scrape and rinse. (paint that with the same garage floor paint/sealer)
your biggest problem might be ventilation though...id be adding at minimum plenty of vents on any exposed ends, and windows if possible. personally id probably use it for rabbits and quail but if those arnt in the plan...simply sealing that concete should protect it enough to prevent smells/stains from becomming perminent.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Can you explain the deep litter method please?
Every time you get a hint of stench, put another layer of pine shavings down to freshen it and cover the odor. The litter will get deep, thus the name...deep litter method. It's really easy. All ya gotta do really is be lazy :lol: it works GREAT! I use the heck out of it...cause i'm lazy ;)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well now, I'm not sure if I can handle being lazy... LOL! Sounds like this is the method I'll be using, lol. The only thing is... How difficult would it be with the large door? It opens out, but I don't want shavings spilling out every time I open the door.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Well, it's lazy until it's time to clean out the coop.......:rolleyes: :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Well now, I'm not sure if I can handle being lazy... LOL! Sounds like this is the method I'll be using, lol. The only thing is... How difficult would it be with the large door? It opens out, but I don't want shavings spilling out every time I open the door.
If you are nimble, you could run some boards across the opening to hold the shavings in, I've done it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I'd put a 2x6 over the threshhold.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Bettacreek said:
JINX! You owe me a soda....great minds....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Wannabefree said:
Bettacreek said:
JINX! You owe me a soda....great minds....
Come get it then :cool: