Is this at all possible?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, now how deep should I start it out at? And should I use "fine" or "flake"? I'm thinking maybe fine for the first layer, then flake? It just might take up an entire bag to cover the floor. PLUS, I will still use the quail idea, and put hanging cages in there for the quail. This room sure has saved me a LOT of hassles!

ETA: Can I use chainsaw chippings for the bedding (at least the first layer)? My parents have several garbage bags of this stuff, so it'd be free... I'd just need to spend $5 on a board (all the free lumber around here seems to fall through) or, better yet, see if I can "steal" one from the parents. Coop cost going from around $100 (estimation) to zilch would be awesome.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I would think as long as it is "dry" the chipping would be fine. I prefer flake.

I think I worry about is if the walls are wooden and you don't have interior walls, this method can seep moisture into the wood, not enough to damage it, but it is visible.

I need to go back and read your original post - ventilation?

ETA: I see the concrete wall on your OP. No worries, but I'll leave my comment here for others.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is really awesome. I appreciate all of the comments everyone! I'm going to get everything setup tomorrow, then hopefully everyone will be "outdoors" tomorrow or Monday. I think I'm getting a larger brooder light, then keep the little one for newly hatched chicks in the brooder, and a heavy-duty heat lamp in this room, until everyone is good to go without heat. :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'll get some posted. That might help with any more ideas as well. There's no light in there yet, but electrical outlets, so I can put in two clamp lamps... One for me to be able to see, and one for heat.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Super cool! Lol. I plan to put some of that money that would've gone to the coop towards a few more meaties. I'm going to put an ad up and see if anyone else locally wants to go in on an order to help reduce costs even further. It looks like it's $13 for a can of sealant, so hopefully it'll only take one can. Cheap-arse that I am, lol.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
This sounds amazing, Betta! I hope we are so lucky to have something cool like this!

I still worry about the ventilation, if not for the birds, but for yourself having to go in there and work! LOL Make sure it is clean enough, you don't want to be inhailing yucky fumes, especially if you're really in there cleaning and stirring up dust/smells.

I would also mention (if you haven't thought of it) of making sure you take the sealant up the walls at least some way. If you're using the deep bedding concept, then the bedding will potentially be sitting against the walls, and then when you clean, you'll need to be spraying it down.

Also, I don't remember if you mentioned if there is water access in the room or not. The closer the water is the easier it will be, especially if you're talking about needing to get water into the room in winter. Having to hoof water stinks! :p

Can't wait to see pictures!!!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think you would definitely want some ventilation in there. If you have no windows, maybe you could cut a window in the door, then screen it in. Personally, I like to use straw rather than pine shavings. You could start out with a 2" layer, then add to it if/when needed. It seems to break down faster in the compost pile, too, when I clean out the area under the roost. On a finished floor, you won't have much of a sticking problem. Are the chickens going to get free range time? If so, you may be able to modify the door further to make a little pop door at the bottom. Aren't we just full of ideas? :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If the space is large, as you say it is, you might consider making an "airlock" type of thing to control shavings falling out when you open the door. Maybe build a wooden frame - wall to wall, floor to ceiling - and place it a few feet into the room. Add in a door, and cover the whole thing with chicken wire. (Does that make any sense at all to anyone besides me? :lol:). You could then use the area outside the wire (but still inside the room) to store bags of shavings, food, etc., and the shavings would be more contained.

Also, look into DE or Stall-dry to mix into your shavings (do a search on BYC).

I also would worry about the lack of ventilation. Is there any way possible to drill some vent holes near the ceiling, and cover with hardware cloth?