Just Bragging :p

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Any of the options that I choose would be legal and correct. I am still married to my husband. There is no divorce decree, we are still married, and I personally must either file as married filing jointly or married filing seperately. There's no question to that, I'm not trying to do anything illegal, just trying to figure out if I can put the boys under the BF's tax returns. If I can, I have several options, and I can choose one legally. My options (if I can amend the boyfriend's returns) include: 1. Married, filing seperately, claiming the boys. 2. Married, filing jointly with my husband, claiming the boys and splitting the returns. 3. Married, filing seperately, and having my boyfriend claim the boys by amending his taxes. 4. Married, filing jointly and still having the boyfriend claim the boys by amending his taxes.

All four options, if amending the taxes to include dependants is acceptable, are perfectly legal and correct.
1. Married, filing separately, claiming the boys. 2 will get you $0

2. Married, filing jointly with my husband, claiming the boys and splitting the returns - if you only made $20,000 together then your EIC will be about $5,000

3. Married, filing separately, and having my boyfriend claim the boys by amending his taxes - depends on how much he made and him changing his filling status to head of household with 2 qualifying dependents.

4. Married, filing jointly and still having the boyfriend claim the boys by amending his taxes - doesn't change anything from #3 above, yours and the "ex" returns would be superfluous.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have no idea what the husband made. I didn't even have any idea what I made! The BF, with an amended return would get $4,163, instead of $850. In the end, I'll have to see what the husband made before making any decisions. If I file with him, it will still benefit him, even if he gets the same amount (though it won't) because it will save him the $100 or so that someone else would charge to do taxes. Believe it or not, I can do taxes properly, was just too much in a hurry to get them done ASAP that I filed the BF's without thinking about who would get the better return.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
not having the ex involved is the best way to go - amend your bf's taxes and wait the extra couple of months and it will be like Christmas in summer.

has the bf supported the kids for the bulk of the year? will the ex not contest? if so then do the 1040x.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes and nope. The ex hasn't had custody of the boys, and has not supported them. The boyfriend has in fact provided the bulk of the support for the boys for the majority of the year.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:barnie
I have all my paperwork and now the tax software won't work! I stupidly did a software download with Amazon for H&RB Block to save a few bucks and it has been nothing but trouble. I have now spent over 6 hours on a tax return that should have taken me 10 minutes. There is an update error that seems to be popping up for alot of people. Hopefully they will give my money back. :fl I will go back to TurboTax and hope for a better experience, but no more software downloads, in the box products only from now on.

Edit to add:
Yay for Amazon customer service! They are giving me a refund!

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh no, tax season again. Gross.

I've always gone to H & R Block and I am semi-determined to do my own this season. I was on employment insurance for a majority of 2009, and have made less than 5k after the EI ran out. Will I owe the government money or will they owe me my taxes from EI back? I have no idea how it works. I just don't want to owe them money.

Last year, I missed a T4 from a job I worked at for two days (I got a much better job offer, what can I say!) and then the government sends me a letter recently saying I owe them 340 bucks. I was like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT. Apparently because I made under 19k that year, I had qualified for a Poor As F*** Person Tax Break. But, with the 119 dollars I made from the two day job, that put me over the 19k. I was so ticked, sure it was my own fault for forgetting that T4, I am a bit oblivious, but 340 dollars for a job that made me $119!! What a kick in the pants!!

Do you guys think it is worth it to buy tax software for at home? Or should I go to H&R Block again? I hate taxes. I really, really hate taxes. Can I just keep all my taxes they take from me and sit down with someone from the gov't and tell them how much of my money I feel they deserve and what they should spend it on? Cuz frankly, there are many millions of dollars that go missing I would like to talk to them about.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I just use TurboTax's online thinger. Prices depend on the situation. It does cost $65ish if you want to pay their fees out of your returns. It's $30 if you have a few items (such as a house or whatever) and free if you're poor as hell and own nothing. If you run a business, there is a higher charge. Then you pay for states. I think I paid $15 last year for mine. I think the BF paid $30. I am just going off of my very crappy memory though.